Wait, who?!

It was the day of the big Jiang-Jin-Wedding, as the Cultivation World called it. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian were heading to Koi Tower and Lan Wangji couldn't help but notice the spring in Wei Wuxian's step. The happiness seeping from Wei Wuxian's every pore was making him feel warm inside.

Wei Wuxian decided to dress in his finest clothes that day. He wore his best black robes, embroidered with discreet lotuses and a red sash to go with it. Lan Wangji, however, saw him look wistfully at a purple robe he had in the small box he called his cupboard, when they were getting ready.

"Why not?"

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly. "I've defected from the Jiangs. I can't."

Lan Wangji picked up the lilac belt from the robes, holding it out to Wei Wuxian.

"For your sister."

So the red sash was replaced with a purple one.

While Wei Wuxian had tinkered on his elaborate present for his sister day and night, Lan Wangji had spent many days visiting the Jin Clan as well as with complicated correspondence, but never leaving Wei Wuxian's side for long. It had cost him a long and arduous amount of convincing the Jins until Wei Wuxian had finally been permitted to attend the wedding, not as Jiang Yanli's brother but as a guest of the Lanling Jin Clan.

Jin Zixuan had played an important role in this happening. He knew that his future wife wanted her sworn brother at her wedding, so he had pushed for it with all his power and influence. Combined with Lan Wangji's logical argumentation and push for peace and reconciliation they were finally able to convince Jin Guangshan.

As they reached Koi Tower, the apprehensive guards still wouldn't let Wei Wuxian in, unconvinced even by Lan Wangji himself. But Jin Zixuan personally came out to escort Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji up the tower and into the great hall.

As soon as they entered, Lan Qiren pulled Lan Wangji away from Wei Wuxian to one corner of the hall with an intense look. However, Lan Wangji noticed with a bit of relief that Wei Wuxian followed leisurely, accompanied by Lan Xichen, who had welcomed him in the name of the Lan Clan.

As they were about to take a seat, a girl with a polite smile approached them. Lan Qiren introduced her, though both he and Wei Wuxian were already familiar with her.

"Wangji, this is Lady Luo of the Jin Clan. I presume you remember her? She had accompanied the Young Jin heir when he came to study at the Cloud Recesses."

Oh, of course he remembered Lady Luo. The taste of bile in his mouth felt sour. He had nothing against the woman herself, but he hated how much attention Wei Wuxian gave her and how it made him feel watching them flirt with each other.

"Lady Luo."

"Hanguang Jun."

They bowed to each other politely, Lan Wangji wanting desperately for her to leave, but she stood there expectingly for a moment and after a nod of Lan Qiren, sat at the Lan table, some distance away.

Lan Qiren explained, "I wanted to tell you sooner, Wangji. The Jins have proposed a marriage into the Lan Clan."

"Mn." Lan Wangji wasn't particularly interested in knowing the nitty gritty of inter clan matrimony, but as his station required of him, he had to listen patiently.

"Lady Luo may soon marry into our clan."

"Whom?" Wei Wuxian piped up, unable to mask his curiosity.

"Wangji."

"Mn?" His thoughts of how to get out of this conversation were disrupted and confusion settled in.

"The Jins' wedding proposal is for you, Wangji." Lan Qiren stated, not getting the reaction he expected.

If Lan Wangji wasn't paying attention then, he was now hyper focused on every word his Shufu had just said, shock settling into his stomach.

He still hadn't come to sorts with his Uncle's statement, when suddenly a loud sound of something breaking came from behind him. He turned around to see Wei Wuxian covered in splashes of alcohol, his cup destroyed in his hand. The many shards the cup had broken into had caused multiple cuts in his otherwise smooth palm, and blood mixed with the alcohol on his hand, dripping down in a sickly way.

"Oh, sorry. My fault. You may continue! My grip is too strong for these dainty cups it seems." Wei Wuxian spoke with a smile plastered on his face, laughing lightly and wiping away the alcohol splatters from his face. But years of observing the man had taught him that Wei Wuxian was currently laughing through a pain that could only be seen in his eyes.

Pain? Of what? Because he liked Lady Luo? Lan Wangji's thoughts spun faster with many possibilities.

Wei Wuxian excused himself, to clean up and tie up his wound, leaving hurriedly in a rush of flowing fabric. However, as he left Lan Wangji noticed that the spring in his step was now gone and he looked rather like a wet puppy.

Lan Wangji wanted to follow him immediately and talk to him, but he still had to respond to his Shufu appropriately.

"Shufu."

"Yes, Wangji?"

"I will not marry Lady Luo. This is final."

Before Lan Qiren could actually respond to him, Lan Wangji got up and bowed to Lady Luo, "I am sorry. Please excuse me.", then swiftly walking out, following Wei Wuxian's footsteps and the smell of alcohol and blood.

He found him on a side balcony with no one else present. Wei Wuxian was whispering curses as he tried to bandage himself one-handedly, using one of his sleeve binders.

"Let me."

Wei Wuxian turned to him, eyes glistening and red. Had he been… crying? Lan Wangji let his outstretched hand fall back to his side, slightly taken aback.

Before Lan Wangji could say or do anything, Wei Wuxian smiled at him, composing himself.

"Oh, I completely forgot. Congratulations on the engagement! Lady Luo and you would look amazing together!" He sniffled a bit, while still keeping up a carefree face.

"Wei Ying…"

"No, really! She's so calm and composed, just like you. I can totally see why your Uncle would want you two to get married! You'll be so happy with her, with no one to bother and annoy you, and, oh, your kids will look so adorable!  Ah, kids. If you want, you can teach them how not to behave by telling them about the fearsome Yiling Patriarch who was also your friend, and oh boy, I am rambling and, and… " His words trailed off, his finger starting to wipe at his eyes that glistened with tears.

Lan Wangji felt his heart ache from seeing Wei Wuxian in this emotional state, So he likes Lady Luo that much. The thought crushed him inside, while he tried to remain his composure outside.

"Wei Ying, I won't-"

"Why won't you? It's a match made in Heaven! You should not go against such a Heavenly Blessing"

By then, Wei Wuxian was finally done bandaging his hand. Looking up from his hand he set his eyes back on the great hall and was starting to walk away, wiping at his tears with the back of his hand.

No, no! I can't let him leave like that. If he likes Lady Luo, he should be with her. One broken heart is better than three, even if it's mine.

He caught Wei Wuxian's unhurt hand, and spun him to look back. Just as he was about to speak, the wedding music started, signifying the beginning of the marriage and a signal for guests to get back to their places.

Wei Wuxian looked down at their hands and, with a wistful smile, he let go, rushing away to sit with the rest of the Jin guests in the other corner of the hall..

As much as he wanted to give chase, Lan Wangji had to return to his own place. As he settled in his seat, Lan Wangji felt like they were worlds apart, his heart aching to feel the other's soft hand again. The whole ceremony, he kept staring at Wei Wuxian, who put on his best fake smile to look at his sister, waving frantically at her from his place in the audience and cheering for her.

A lump formed in his throat. Wei Ying should be happy today, he's waited for so long, but he can't enjoy himself because of me. It's all my fault.