The Prettiest

To Wei Wuxian's alarm, Lan Wangji was still a dead weight. One cup of alcohol and the man collapsed onto the inn table, softly snoring. If his previous experience with a drunk Lan Wangji was anything to go by, the man would wake up soon, seeming normal yet disoriented beyond comparison.

Sure enough, when Lan Wangji woke up, he looked completely sober with the exception of his eyes, which had glossed over. That and his slightly stuttered breath were the only signs something was off. 

"Lan Zhan?"

"Mn?"

"Are you okay?" Wei Wuxian had his head tilted to the side and waved at Lan Wangji's face to see his reaction. 

"Mn."

"Did you know that you were sleeping on the table a moment ago?"

Lan Wangji stood up, straightening his clothes and looking into Wei Wuxian's eyes intensely, then walked over to Wei Wuxian's side.

"It is 9. We must sleep." He grabbed the other man's hand and tried to pull, to make him lie down. 

"Must sleep," he repeated. 

After multiple unsuccessful attempts at making Wei Wuxian sleep on the restaurant floor, Lan Wangji gave up and laid down by himself. Watching the tall, usually dignified man in his pristine white robes lie on the floor of a temporarily set up eatery, Wei Wuxian couldn't help but laugh.

Wei Wuxian poked him to get his attention. "Hey, Lan Zhan, you can't sleep! We have to go see the fireworks!"

At this, Lan Wangji perked up excitedly and Wei Wuxian could almost imagine his puppy ears and wagging tail from how his eyes shone with excitement. 

"Fireworks! Where?"

"Just outside. Let's go join the crowd, or we'll miss the best spots."

"Now! Fireworks! Wei Ying, Go!"

Then he immediately ran out of the restaurant, leaving Wei Wuxian to pay for the food and hurry after him.

They made their way up to the common area, where the firecrackers were to be lit, but found it already occupied with many people, blocking any sight of the spectacle. 

Wei Wuxian sighed, "Aw, no good spots for us. What a pity. Well, it's okay, we'll just stand here and watch as much as we can."

Lan Wangji frowned unhappily. 

"But fireworks…"

"Next year? We can always come back."

"Yes! And fireworks now! "

Just then, Lan Wangji pulled Wei Wuxian out of the crowd into an empty alley.

"Lan Zhan, wait! What are you doing?"

Without explanation Lan Wangji swiftly unsheathed Bichen and stepped on it, pulling Wei Wuxian onto the sword by his waist.

"No. Watch Fireworks."

The finality in his tone and seriousness of his face, combined with the childish insistence made Wei Wuxian giggle, until he realised how close they were. Lan Wangji's hand was retaining its place on his waist, his face nestled right next to Wei Wuxian's ear, breathing lightly but audible. He could feel how Lan Wangji's entire body leant onto him and then he realized  they were practically close enough to kiss. The thought made Wei Wuxian heat up and his cheeks flush lightly.

"Up!" Seemingly oblivious to all that, Lan Wangji followed his plan and sternly directed his sword to rise. 

And so Bichen went up in the air, taking its two riders along. Lan Wangji roamed around in the air a bit, before finally deciding on their destination, the roof of the tallest building in Yiling.