Chapter Thirty-one: panic and kisses

Start from the beginning

   "Is Polly threatening you?"

   "I had no idea Polly went back and gathered evidence against me, both lies and the little truth. That child was her mother's only joy. She died after burying her child, but her father... Polly..."

   "Link, what is Polly threatening you for?" I cut in impatiently. Rominic was already helping me track him down with his laptop.

   "Her husband divorced her months ago, now she is out of money and is blackmailing me to marry her back or she would give the evidence to the police after sending one of the many sextape she has of us. She promised to edit it to look present and send it to Tyra. I don't know what to do. I just got everything I wanted, I'm finally happy and it's about to be taken away from me. I just want to die, I killed her." He wailed. Rominic gave me a sign that he found him. I breathe in relief. Rominic typed something on his phone and turned the screen to me. I walked closer to him and peered at it.

   ‘Ask him if he saw the child with his own two eyes.’

   "Link, I know you are sad, but I also want you to answer these questions so I can know how to help you. You still want Tyra and your baby, don't you?"

   "Yes, I don't want to lose them," he sobbed, "I don't want to lose my family,"

   "Good, now tell me, did you see the child with your own two eyes? Or ever go back to check the news to see if there..."

   "Yes, I saw a picture of her on the news, and her mother." Nic showed me another question.

   "Tell me exactly how Polly acted the morning you woke up."

   "She was scared and cried for me. She insisted on us leaving immediately and never looking back. I... My head hurts, I think I'm going to lie down for a while and hope I never wake up,"

   "Link, don't say that, I want you to not die and stay strong. We'll figure out a way to save you, to make sure you remain with Tyra but I need you alive for that. Don't do anything stupid, sit down in your car and rest, I'm going to send the boys over to you, okay?"

   "Okay," he murmured sleepily.

   "I love you, Link, you know that, right?"

   "I love you too." I hung up and immediately dialed Elias's number. I knew that if there is anybody who would pick up first, it would be him. He is a extremely light sleeper and always leaves his phone on. Truly as expected, he picked up before the call rang out.

   "Elias, hi, I'm sorry to call this time of the night but it's Link, I think he's going to kill himself..."

   "Say what!" I could hear him jump up from the bed, causing a rustle. "Kill himself? Why?"

   "It has to do with Polly blackmailing him with his past. I promise I would explain later but please, help me find him. Rominic already tracked him down. I'll send his location to you. Please, call Gael and tell him, I'll call Maverick and Ferris." I could already hear him running around to get dress and Ginger asking what happened in the background.

   "Okay, I'll be waiting for that... Oh, wait, I just received it. I'll call Gael." He hung up. I gave Rominic a appreciative look before going back to dialing Maverick's number. Maverick never sleeps early so I knew he would be awake. I called him, told him the same thing and then called Ferris. Rominic was on the phone the entire time, something about investigation. If I knew Polly very well, she was a basket of lies. Link never, as in never stays awake after drinking himself to a stupor, no matter how angry he is. Immediately he drops the bottle, he dies on the seat or bed. He would never drive because he is never awake.