𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐸𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

Start from the beginning

After our five minutes were over, Benjamin and I got ready for tonight. Everyone was at the table, but Leo. I sit by Benjamin as he's sitting at the end of the table while I get dressed in a dusty pink, long sleeve tie neck knitted sweater dress while my hair is naturally wavy.

My family started laughing until my mom clink her glass, preparing for a toast. She stands up, smiling as we lift our drinks, "I could not have been prouder for planning a wedding for my daughter. The wedding that she dreamed about for so long." Mom looks at me, "The moment when I first saw you, Dahlia, I knew that you belong to me, and in this family. A young girl read War and Peace at the age of 11, and now my little girl is all grown up, readying for her new life with Benjamin.'

She looks at Benjamin, "Benjamin, I want to thank you for coming into my daughter's life and making her happy. And loves her for who she is, as I quote from my daughter. I thought that organizing this dinner this close to the big day was kind of madness, but maybe we can call this a new start. And if not quite that, I hope for Dahlia's sake a chance to practice being civil to one another before we all go on public display.'

Della laughed loudly as we all laugh along with her, "I love every single one of you, and again thank you, Benjamin, for bringing happiness in Dahlia's life as we're thankful for you joining our family. Cheers, everyone."

Everyone in the family lifts their glasses of champagne as well as mine. Even though I don't drink, I cannot say no to champagne. I lift my drink and clink Benjamin's glass before I clink my mom's glass as she sits down beside me. I give her a kiss on her cheek, and I smile at her, "Thanks, Mom."

She smiles along with me and comforts her date beside her. As Eimear is getting the dinner for us, I turn to Benjamin, "Do you think we should wait for Leo?"

Benjamin's eyes soften in sympathy to me, "I wish, Dahlia, but he knew the time. He knew how important this was to you, us... His loss."

I nod sadly to Benjamin. I wish my brother was here, holding my hand, and cheering me up. I know he would go to my wedding to support me. Right? My thoughts got interrupted when Eimear was carrying the hot meal without the gloves. Even though the gloves are on her shoulder. "Ow... fuck, sorry."

Nathan responds to Eimear, "Honey, the gloves are on your shoulder."

"I know. I'm an idiot."

Della comments, "A lovable idiot."

Eimear smiles at Della, as she serves the dinner to us. "Why, thank you."

I laugh at the scenery as I finish my drink in one gulp. Benjamin notices my glass is gone and whispers to me, "Your glass is empty, my love, which is entirely unacceptable."

I turn to him, teasing him as I speak in a British accent, "You keeping me pickled to get me down the aisle? I'm onto you, Mr. Greene."

Benjamin smiles and laughs softly, and kisses the palm of my left hand, "Busted..." I give him a simple kiss. When in the corner of my eye, I see Patrick looking at us. Benjamin catches the attention of him as well I did, "Patrick, would you mind grabbing us another bottle? They're in the kitchen."

"Well, we can't be low on champagne, with everything we have to celebrate."

Everyone in the family stops, seeing the tensions between Benjamin and him. "Thanks, mate."

Patrick gets up and goes to the kitchen, and I see Mom following him along. Probably to shut him up in her order as a mother. When my mom comes back with champagne, everyone including Patrick digs in on the meal.

Filled with laughter and joy with no fights and arguments. Everything was in peace, and I couldn't be prouder. As I finish my meal, everyone on the table hears the door slam. Our heads were turning to the sound, and the dining-room door opened and it revealed Kieran. "Hey, sorry to just pitch up, we-"