CH 25: THE WALK OF PUNISHMENT

Comenzar desde el principio

What would happen to the dragons then?

Rhaenys turned away from the bed and went to a coffer that was placed against the wall. Once opened, there were only clothes inside. Still, Rhaenys rummaged until she reached the bottom.

She was quiet, to avoid disturbing the dragons. Under all the clothes was a wooden box, the same one Robert Baratheon had given her. But now, the ring was on her finger and the egg had hatched. It should have been empty, only having that old letter from her father.

Rhaenys placed the box on the desk of the office outside, opening it. The moonlight trickled through the window, falling over the large red stone at the top of the crown that laid on the box.

The crown was of gold, with dragons coiling around it, as if holding the red stone in the middle. Hidden within the cervixes of the dragons were inscriptions in High Valyrian.

Quaithe had given Rhaenys this crown when she left Old Valyria and had said that it held great power. Now that magic was nearly lost, this crown was the only thing that would allow her to use the powers of the old ages. She had said that this was everything Rhaenys needed. Only this crown and dragons.

But here it laid. She hadn't worn it once. Neither did she silently wait for her dragons to grow. Instead, she had come to Astapor for an army.

Quaithe hadn't mentioned it, but Rhaenys could feel it. This crown, as powerful as it was, its magic wouldn't last long. The amount of magic it could use was limited and there was something she wanted to use it for. No matter how hard things got, even if she had to make hard choices, she couldn't use this crown yet.

Tomorrow... She had until tomorrow to decide whether she would buy the Unsullied or not.

The red of the stone was reflected on Rhaenys's indigo eyes, giving the impression that flames were burning in a sea of stars. Beautiful yet dangerous.

"Have you changed your mind?"

Rhaenys lifted her head, not surprised at the appearance behind her. She simply closed the box then turned around before speaking. "It has been a while. Why did you come?"

"I heard of the... incident today. Your first meeting with a Warlock, how was it?" Quaithe didn't continue to push about her first question.

"He felt...weak. But there are so many more of those tricksters. They tried to kill Dany already. They will continue trying and I do not know if I can protect her the next time."

Quaithe clasped her hands in front of her, "They are nothing. What you must do is so much more important than a bunch of ants who are not part of your path."

"That is easy for you to say. They are not threatening your family. I want them gone. And I know you can make that happen. Or at least you know how to." Rhaenys met Quaithe's hidden gaze directly with no intention of giving in.

For some reason, there seemed to be a sort of barrier between Quaithe and everyone else. Something that stopped her from intervening too much. But for whatever reason, she wanted Rhaenys to fight for the throne and win it with her own strength. The Warlocks were an unneeded distraction.

The mask made it impossible for Quaithe's expression to be seen. No fluctuations came from her voice once she spoke either. "I do know some people who might be able to help you with your problem."

"Who?"

"No one." Quaithe paused, then continued, "No one of importance. By tomorrow night, the Warlocks of Qarth will be no more and your aunt will be safe from them. Happy?"

"Very. It also confuses me. But I know you still will not tell me why you want me on the throne. Or why you are doing all of this."

"I have my reasons. Just like you have your own. I might wear a mask, Rhaenys Targaryen, but it's not the same as yours. It is quite impressive. Tell me, how did you manage to act the way you did on that day? Robert Baratheon was lying there, weak and dying, bleeding with a hole in his belly. How did you manage not to do it? How did you manage to act like you forgave him when you wanted nothing more than to finish him yourself?"