Wartime Efforts

🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃
"May I?", Dr. Erskine asks Steve, who sits on his bed.

"Yeah."

"Can't sleep?"

"I got the jitters, I guess.", Steve says nervously.

"Me, too.", Dr. Erskine admits.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Just one?"

"Why me?", Steve asks.

"I suppose that is the only question that matters. This is from Augsburg. My city.", Dr. Erskine says referring to the wine in his hand.

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own. You know, after the last war, my people struggled. They felt weak. They felt small. And then Hitler comes along with the marching and the big show and the flags. And he hears of me. My work. And he finds me. And he says, "You." He says, "You will make us strong." Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of Hydra, his research division. A brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now, Schmidt is a member of the inner circle. And he is ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth.", Dr. Erskine explains. Steve is listening intently.

"Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth, left here by the gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man."

"Did it make him stronger?", Steve asks.

"Yes. But there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside, so good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength. And knows compassion.", Dr. Erskine answers.

"Thanks. I think.", Steve laughs.

Dr. Erskine gestures to the glass by Steve. He pours both of them a drink.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man.", He says.

"To the little guys.", Steve raises his glass. When he goes to drink, Dr. Erskine stops him.

"No, no. Wait, wait. What I am doing? No, you have procedure tomorrow. No fluids."

"All right. We'll drink it after."

"No, I don't have procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? I drink it now.", Dr. Erskine drinks his as Steve laughs.

🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃
Steve sits in the back of a car with Peggy Carter.

"I know this neighborhood.", He says while looking out the window.

They are being driven to the lab. After a boat trip from the camp, they were loaded into a car and shipped right off.

"I got beat up in that alley.", He points out the window.

"And that parking lot."

He sighs.

"And behind that diner."

"Did you have something against running away?", Peggy asks.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?", He chuckles.