Chapter 04 - Like A Cocoon.

Start from the beginning

          The sky had darkened immensely quickly and Katrina hadn't realised that she had been asleep for so long. She checked the time on her watch and it told her that it was almost five o'clock in the afternoon. It was winter after all, so the days were small.

          Suddenly, a dark shadow rushed past her and she squeaked, startled, and whipped her head to see what it was. Just then the Police car screeched to a halt and two Policemen climbed out. The female Police authority was talking into her radio before she hurried over to Katrina, and the other male Policeman ran over to help the others.

          "Are either of you hurt, Miss?!" the woman demanded, scrutinising them. "Have you been scratched anywhere? Have the infected touched you?!"

          "No, neither of us has been in contact with them," Katrina answered desperately, "What's going on? Why is this happening? We don't understand!"

          "We are here to take control! Stay inside! Keep all windows and door locked at all times until further notice. Understand?" She ordered and rushed to join her partner.

          Katrina opened the gate again and watched the ambulances arrive. But what happened next made her sick to her stomach. The police officers were being attacked; blood bubbled out from their wounds and screams echoed. Was that how the infection was spreading? Something clicked in her head. This was like some sort of contagious virus.

          She caught a movement to her left and saw more raging howls and hisses rushing from behind her. A large throng of those mutant blood-suckers was running nearer and nearer. She needed to get back inside. No matter how much she wanted to help the victims, her instincts told her to go inside the house. She was too weak to help anyone but herself and Fleur. There were too many raging lunatics.

          She had rushed herself and her friend inside the house just in time to see the whooshing figures of the blood-sucking creatures run past her house – from the spy-hole – and locked the door quickly. Then she went to the back of the house and made sure all the windows and the backdoor – as well as the door on the backyard – was locked. She went back in the rechecked the windows of the living-room.

          Fleur was back inside the little gap between the two arms of the sofas, like a butterfly inside her protective cocoon. "Close the lights!" she cried, "For crying out loud, close the lights!"

          "What will that do?" Katrina asked, not understanding the request. She checked the window and saw that the 'infected' – like the policewoman had addressed the blood-suckers – had climbed on top of the ambulance. They were banging and punching all around it until they got what they wanted. And that was the people inside the van and she knew this because first, there were sounds of glass shattering that soon followed by agonizing cries of pain. Horrible gurgling could be heard.

          The news reporter was still talking on the television. "...They have seemed to have adapted to the night. Their system somehow has turned nocturnal, like owls...."the woman urged firmly.

          Katrina promptly turned off the lights and closed the curtains. She caught a slightly shuffle and bump on the front door from the outside. Her eyes widened in fear. Fleur moved out halfway and whispered for her to hide at once. But Katrina was too curious. "What if it's someone who needs help?" she mouthed back.

          "No, come back," her friend whispered back desperately. "It's one of those things!"

          Katrina lay her index on her lips and tiptoed to look through the She saw one of them breathing heavily just outside her window. It saw her and grinned. Its sharp fang-like teeth were shining with blood. Its eyes were bleeding and red, like burning fire. Or the roundness of the eyes could have been emphasised because of the distorted vision. But the redness wasn't an illusion at all.

          A rattled noise erupted. She realised that it was the doorknob of the door when she followed the noise. Soon the thing behind the door started to attack the door and the wooden door trembled against the hits. She stumbled back as the door started to crack. The eye of the creature replaced the hole and it grew angrier in rage. More and more howls and hisses mingled with the banging.

          "They found us!" Fleur cried from her place. "Oh, God, they're here!"

          A bloody white hand crashed through the small window pane on the door, causing her to scream – or she tried because no voice came out.

*** 

You can find me on; 

Instagram: little.red.bookmark 

Tiktok: inalittleblackbox