35: Get your head in this kiss

Start from the beginning

Ok, that seemed highly improbable.

If Brooke could hear my thoughts now, I'm sure she'd laugh – the tingly sound, leaving me smiling soon after. And then, she’d say something along the lines of: ‘SpongeBob, you're so weird.’

But wait, why was I thinking of Brooke now?

Snap out of it, Hawk. This is not the time to think of Brooke. You need to get your head in this kiss. You need to focus on this kiss!

Alright, that confirmed it – these were definitely not the kind of thoughts a guy kissing the girl of his dreams was supposed to be having. What was wrong with me?

Thankfully, the kiss came to an end. No, I meant, sadly. Sadly – that’s totally what I meant.

Now, however, I had an after kiss situation to deal with. Gosh, when I said it like that, it made it sound like I was referring to some kind of task, which was definitely not what this was.

“So,” Ria started.

“Hmm,” I answered lamely, rewarding myself with a thousand mental slaps soon after.

Hmm? What I was hmming to exactly? It’s not like she asked a question or shared a thought which I was agreeing with.

“I’m sorry for just coming at you like that.”

“No, it’s fine,” I answered, managing a smile. But inside, I was doing a happy dance of: ‘yay, I finally made a meaningful sentence!’

“Really?” She questioned, her eyes peering unsurely into mine.

“Really,” I affirmed.

“Hawk, I…” She stopped, seeming a bit hesitant before adding, “I like you. Actually, I have for a while now, and I know you’re dating Brooke and I really don’t want to get in the way of that. But that’s just how I feel – and I thought I should let you know.”

This was something straight out of a dream, and I knew I should be swimming with glee right now. And to be fair, I was. However, my brewing delight was soon overshadowed by a sudden thought.

Brooke.

What would the recent turn of events with Ria mean for our whole ‘relationship’ dynamic? And more importantly, why did I feel like I’d just cheated on her or something?

Gosh, I must be losing my mind from all the Ria excitement. 

I mean, we weren't even dating for real, so how could I have been cheating?

But even then, there was a strange nibbling guilt inside me which I couldn’t quite get rid of. I know it made no sense, but it was almost as though I did something I wasn’t supposed to.

Pfft, what was I saying? Was there ever a time I didn't do something I wasn't supposed to do?

Like what just happened for one. Who gave himself a pep talk while kissing the girl of his dreams?

Well, let me see…oh yeah, me!

See? I was just overthinking things. If anything, I was sure Brooke would be pleased when I told her this. Although that led me back to my initial question – what would this mean for us?

I had a pretty good guess though, but it wasn’t nearly as appealing as it once was. But why?

Ria’s voice, however, saved me from having to think about an answer to that. “Hawk.”

“Yeah?”

“You don’t want to talk about your relationship, I get it.”

Oh Ria, always so understanding.