65: Unwelcome Visitor

"Good morning, Mary." You greet as you enter the laundry room.

Mary sits with an array of baskets spread in front of her, freshly folded linens and clothing stacked inside them. She looks up from the half folded towel in her hands, smile ready to greet you. When she notices you're wearing your uniform, her smile fades and is replaced with a look of question.

"My Lady, what on earth are you doing?" Mary asks. "Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I don't need any more rest." You exclaim, sitting yourself on the floor in front of her. "I've lost too much time already to waste any more of it lying in bed."

"It's not a waste of time when it's necessary." Mary rebuttals.

"I don't believe it's necessary when I'm perfectly fine." You exclaim, grabbing a bundled piece of clothing from the hamper beside you. "Whether you and Alcina like it or not, I'm returning to my duties."

Mary sighs, shaking her head with a soft smile.

"It appears you really have returned to yourself." Mary utters in a chuckle. "More stubborn than ever."

"What can I say, I've learned well from a few equally stubborn women." You wink, placing the now folded cloth onto it's designated pile.

"This is true." Mary remarks with a giggle.

You sit in silence for a while, attention focused on folding towels and clothing and sorting them into their baskets. Occasionally, you catch Mary glancing at you as if she wants to ask you something. Mary isn't the kind of person to be sheepish, but she seems to be contemplating words with each glance she takes.

"Something you'd like to ask?" You question her, scooting another basket of freshly washed clothing closer to your reach.

"How are you feeling, dear?" Mary asks, finally able to push out the words with your encouragement.

"I feel fine." You utter in response.

"That's far from convincing." Mary remarks, grabbing a few items of clothing and placing them on her lap. "How are you really feeling?"

You pause from folding, fingers fiddling with the stitched seam of one of Alcina's nightgowns. Mary continues her task, waiting patiently for your response.

"It's strange..." You quietly begin. "To be lost for so long then suddenly find yourself again. It's like waking up from a dream only to discover you were never dreaming at all. There's so much time I can't make up for."

Your eyes meet Mary's. Her expression is soft, full of unwaivering care.

"Lost time is never found again, my dear." Mary says, voice gentle. "Time is like a river. You can not touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. If you continuously focus on the moments you missed, the moments you have now will surely pass the same. Leaving you in a never ending abyss of regret. Would you rather spend today longing, or living?"

"Living." You softly exclaim.

"Then live like there is no tomorrow, my dear. For tomorrow is never guaranteed." Mary coos with a meek smile.

"Especially in my case." You utter.

Mary's smile fades as she lets out a sigh.

"Alcina won't let anything happen to you, Y/N. She loves you more than anything this world has to offer her." Mary tells you. "She's doing what she can to keep you safe. Even with her power, some things are out of her control."

"I know." You sigh.

"Don't lose hope just yet, dear." Mary tells you. "This world if full of unknown possibilities. Nothing is impossible."