55: Trust Yourself

As the sun begins to rise into the morning sky, you pull yourself from groggy slumber. Yesterday, you and Alcina had discussed your arrangement here at Castle Dimitrescu. She requested that you assist Mary with her tasks, serving as an assistant personal maiden of sorts. This meant you had to rise before dawn.

Unfortunately, your cramped bed left little comfort in the long night, so you hadn't slept very well. Despite having the urge to sleep in, you rise from your bed. Your lycan groans as you shift yourself to your feet, displeased that you are up so early. Alcina has allowed him to stay with you, but he is your responsibility. You chuckle and shake your head as he huffs and puffs, not ready to get up yet.

"You can keep sleeping if you wish, but I have responsibilities to tend to." You give his head a little pat, then begin to get ready for the day.

You make your way over to the wardrobe. You pull the doors open, revealing all the new clothes that Mary had promised you. There was a large selection of beautiful dresses and comfy nightgowns, all your size. Unfortunately, you couldn't wear any of them just yet. New responsibilities came with a new uniform. You pull the uniform from it's hanger. You remove the oversized nightgown and tuck it into the wardrobe. Despite it being too big for you, you've found it rather comfortable. As you fell asleep, you buried yourself in the sweet smell of lavender that lingered on its fabric. You pull the uniform over your head, sliding it onto your body. It's black skirt falls just above your knees. You grab the matching white apron and tie it around your waist. Finally dressed, you slip on a pair of short heels and tie your hair into a loose bun.

Ready for the day, you give your lycan a few scratches then leave him to rest. You push the door of your chamber open and step out. Seeing Alcina sleeping peacefully, you gently close the door behind you. You quietly make your way to the exit, careful that your steps don't make too much noise. Before you leave, you glance back at Alcina. She's curled up in a heavy fur blanket, wrapped in it's warmth. One arm is tucked under her pillow, the other peeking out from the blanket as her hand tucks under her face. Her biceps are muscular, as are her shoulders. In the growing morning light, she looks like a tranquil dream.

As Alcina shifts her resting body with a groggy sigh, you pull the chamber door open and step out. To your surprise, you see Mary making her way down the hall. You gently pull the door shut behind you and trot to catch up to her.

"Good morning, Mary!" You coo as you join her at her side.

"Oh, Y/N!" She jumps a little at your sudden presence, but gives you a warm cheerful smile. "Good morning, Dear."

"Can I help you with that?" You kindly ask her.

Mary holds a large wicker basket. It's nearly overflowing with dirty laundry. Although rather determined that she can carry it, you can see that she's struggling.

"I suppose." Mary chuckles, handing you the basket. You carry it with little effort as the two of you stroll down the hall. "Are you excited for your first day?"

"Surprisingly, yes." You respond with a smile. "What's on the agenda?"

"I like the enthusiasm." Mary chuckles again. "We have about an hour to get laundry started. Once Lady Dimitrescu wakes, you'll bring her morning tea and help her get ready for the day. We also need to clean the dungeon. I'm afraid the girls have made quite the mess."

"The girls?" You ask.

"Lady Dimitrescu's daughters." Mary exclaims. "Have you not seen them yet?"

You shake your head.

"You'll meet them again eventually. They're a little on the strange side, but they are lovely girls at heart." Mary says. "Now, let's get these clothes washed and hung."