Of course, they were not. She thought after a moment. That is the only way the two girls were—

Lady Kiara pressed her palm on her forehead and slid it down her face to her chin. She shook her palm to get the excess water out of it, then tucked her hair in a tight bun. Flash of red she had seen the moment her eyes opened as cold water made contact with her warm skin— she remembered the image yet again.

Her knights would never leave their post. Unless something happens to force them.

The Lady bit her lip. With one last look at the locked door, she paced towards the right end of the hallway, trying to locate the source of the scream.

I will interrogate the maids later.

A guard was walking her way. He stopped to bow.

"Search for the Rothewardean guards," she ordered.

"My Lady—"

"Do not cause me to repeat my words." Warning laced her low voice, making the guard scurry away.

She heard some commotion from a small room at the furthermost corner of the floor. A guard was rushing out of the room. Then she saw a maid— at most in her mid-thirties— sobbing violently; her eyes wide and puffy, body shaking, sweat dripping down her face.

Another one, a little more aged than the prior, was holding her close as she escorted her out of the room.

Kiara frowned as she approached the maids.

"What happened here?" She softly whispered, afraid that raising her voice even barely would shatter the already hysterical woman.

"My—" The older maid started greeting but Kiara was quick to hold up her palm.

"You should get her to her room. She looks like she will faint." She patted the woman lightly and walked towards the room.

Two guards were in there when she entered the room. They were standing near a small door on the ground, which they had left open and were gazing down at. There was a queer smell lingering in the air as she stepped further into what looked like a small storeroom.

One of the guards sensed her presence. "My Lady!" He bowed, and the second guard followed the suit.

"Please allow us to escort you back to your room."

"I will. But what was all that about?" Kiara gestured towards outside.

The guards looked at each other, uncertainty washing over their faces. After a minute of silence, Kiara lightly knocked at the surface of the small piece of furniture placed near her. "I am waiting. I despise waiting."

She instantly regretted touching it as her knuckles were covered with specks of dust and a spider's web got stuck on them.

The first guard started speaking but was immediately cut off by the sound of heavy footsteps, getting louder every second.

Lady Kiara turned around to see more guards marching towards the room with their armsman on the front.

"My Lady—" The armsman bowed as soon as he came inside the room, his long sandy blond hair tied back in a pony. "I will escort you to your room." He handed the lamp he was holding in his hand to the guards standing behind Kiara.