12: Were you also referring to my underwear?

Start from the beginning

It was with great effort that I managed to pull my eyes away from them, and towards what the man with the gentle voice was holding. Strangely, I recognized the clothes in his hands as mine.

Which then left the question – how was he with my clothes? Wait a minute, did that mean…

My eyes immediately drifted to my body, and it was only then I took note of what I was wearing – a big white shirt, and pants sizes bigger than mine. No kidding, I was certain I'd have to hold on to its sides when I walked to prevent it from slipping off my waist. 

How did I get into these clothes? How was I in this room which looked like it belonged in an episode of ‘Keeping up with the Kardashians?’ And why were these people treating me as though I were some sort of royalty?

“Your clothes were a bit messed up from last night, so I had it cleaned for you. There were no spare clothes available, so I had to make do with mine,” the man with the gentle voice explained, as though sensing my confusion. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience.” 

He was sorry? And not for banging my head to a wall, but for giving me his clothes to wear?

Ok, was this a dream? I pinched myself to be sure, and it hurt like hell, so this had to be real.

Hence, I found myself hurriedly saying, “no, please, it’s totally fine. It's just… I don't even remember changing into these clothes.”

In response, he smiled reassuringly at me, as though not remembering how I got into different clothes than mine, was a completely normal thing. “Actually, I helped you change. I had to take off all you were wearing to help you feel more comfortable.”

My lips rounded in an awkward: “oh.” But all I could think of was the man with the gentle voice changing my clothes, with the three girls watching him.

My insides shuddered at the image, so I quickly shook it off my mind, choosing to focus instead on how the girls got to work arranging everything before me. When they were done, they excused themselves, even throwing me smiles before leaving.

Ok, was this some sort of reverse reality?

The man with the gentle voice also made to leave after setting my clothes down, but the sound of my voice stopped him.

“Um...when you said ‘all I was wearing,’ were you also referring to my underwear?”

There, I said it. And never had I wished I could take back something I said than I did right now.

The man however, looked somewhat concerned, much to my chagrin. Did he think I was a weirdo? Did he…

“I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you’d need a change of underwear. I would have changed it if I did. I'm really sorry about that.”

Could this situation get any more mortifying? To be honest, I’d have preferred if he thought I was a weirdo. Now though, he looked genuinely concerned at the possibility that he’d offended me by not changing my underwear.

In the end, I could only manage to say,  “no, you don't need to be sorry, it's fine. Thank you for cleaning up my clothes.”

He visibly relaxed at that, and a moment later, he was exiting the room, shutting the door behind him as he left.

But hold on, why did he shut the door?

Oh no! Could it be?

I'd seen this scene before. The innocent kid wakes up in a strange, big house with seemingly nice people, only to find out he’s been kidnapped by...drug lords!