chapter twelve: the lost art of distraction

Start from the beginning

You did a good job of keeping yourself preoccupied the rest of the day, trying not to think about your meetup with Charlie.

Doing your student duties, you paid attention during your classes and never thought about the six-foot-something professor until you stepped foot in the library that night.

While avoiding the gaze of the students' walking out, you could feel your heart rate quickening. Step by step, you watched your feet guide you to Andrea's desk, chewing on your lip as you looked up at her.

"Hi, dear." It seemed like she was in a rush tonight, already standing from her chair and packing up her things.

"Making a quick getaway, are we?" You squinted in her direction, watching as she pulled her coat on along with a smile.

"Greg is taking me somewhere special tonight." She exhaled a breath, humming to herself. You could see her eyes light up as she thought about it, the excitement starting to build.

"That sounds like fun." You smiled in her direction, watching as she did a little dance as she walked around her desk.

"A night of dinner and dancing... It's just what I need." She took you by the hands, spinning you around with her as she continued to dance.

"Andrea!" You laughed until she freed you from her grip, adjusting the purse hanging from her shoulder.

"When are you gonna have fun like that, huh?" She cocked one of her brows towards you. "When was the last time you had dinner with someone?" Andrea folded her arms across her chest now, tapping her foot against the floor. Oh, God, could she see right through you?

You could have sworn the blood drained out of your face, feeling like your entire world came to a stop. With the new onset of dry mouth you were experiencing, you were glad Andrea spoke again.

"That April woman at the bar doesn't count." The corners of her lips curled into a smirk, causing you to huff out a forced laugh. Her gaze lingered a little too long for your liking, making you wonder... Could she see right through you?

"It totally counts." You swallowed the lump sitting in your throat. Anxiety infested your body, confident that she could see right through you.

"She drink's too much."

Could she see right through you?

"She's nice."

You could see right through you...

"I need to find you a date before you graduate." While you hid Charlie's leftover handprints over your body, you furrowed your brows as she started to walk out.

"No, you don't, Andrea." You called out to her, watching as she pushed the door open.

"I'll find you a nice man to go out with!... Oh-" She seemed to run into someone, causing your heart to stop altogether. "Hello... Have a good night." You heard her soft voice now, acknowledging someone before the doors shut. Knowing exactly who she saw, your feet were glued to the floor, not letting you take another step.

A few seconds went by until you saw Charlie walking through the front doors of the library. His gaze immediately found yours, never looking away until he made his way over to you. With him only a few inches away now, you could feel your heart skipping with excitement.

"Hello." His baritone voice was like the devil trying to seduce an innocent angel, his eyes now lowering to your body. As he stood in front of you, your lips parted before you forgot every word in your vocabulary.

You could hear the voice in the back of your mind, yelling out for you to speak now.

"Hi." You finally managed to get out. Before his eyes lifted back to yours, he turned his head back to make sure it was the two of you alone.