"Claude!" I called again, not caring if I was giving my position away. I had to make sure he was okay. That whatever happened with the Sway was just some strange twist of fate that had nothing to do with his safety. "Claude!"

As only my voice echoed back again, a chill ran through me.

It couldn't be...

I ran toward the bushes bordering the courtyard, my frozen hands shaking as I parted the shrubbery, using the moonlight to guide my search. The sharp twigs from the bushes scratched my hand as I frantically pawed through them. When no bodies turned up, I combed the rest of the yard, feeling like I was on autopilot, but nothing. There was nothing.

No one was here.

No traces of blood, no traces of any kind of struggle. The area was completely untouched.

Then where was Claude? He'd said he'd be here. I'd written my father and told him to show up here. So why weren't they here? Claude had shown me to this area. He'd agreed with my plan to tell my father to come here, too. We'd promised to meet a few hours after the ball started, and I'd relayed that time to my father. So why...

As if the world wanted to answer my question, the clock tower began sounding off. I counted the gongs.

It was still early. We weren't supposed to meet this early. Maybe that meant Claude was still safe somewhere else—

I'm sorry.

Claude's apology rang in my ears as I stared out across the grass. A shiver went through me, having nothing to do with the cold. What had Claude been apologizing for...?

Realization hit me with such force my legs nearly gave out.

Claude tricked me.

He tricked me so he could face my father alone.

"No..." I said, my hand going to my mouth. "No."

I didn't know what to do. Where could he be? How was I supposed to find him? It had to be somewhere hidden, out of sight. How was I supposed to find that?

I took off again. I couldn't sit still and panic. I needed to find him. I headed back to the ballroom. Maybe Kaz or San had seen him and could help. Or Adora, wherever she disappeared to. My anxiety doubled thinking of Adora. Where had she gone? Was she okay?

As I approached the ballroom, a commotion caught my ears. Screaming. The pounding of a stampede. Pure chaos. I paused, turning toward the glass windows. The students were scattering, ducking their heads, running in every direction.

I took a step toward it, my heart skipping a beat. "What...?"

"Cleo!"

I turned to see Felix approaching me and I grabbed his arm. "Something is happening in there. Hunters must have attacked the students. We have to protect them!"

"Why did you run off? I told you to wait," Felix snapped, glancing into the ballroom. "Claude told me where he'd be. He made me promise not to tell you."

"That's—" I cut myself off. Now wasn't the time to argue. "Felix, can you help the other students? I'll go find Claude."

"Cleo—"

"You're the only one who can," I said, holding onto him tighter. "You have the Sway now. You can stop the hunters. I can't do anything if there are too many."

Felix shook his head. "I can't. I don't want anyone to know—"

"But they might die! They could be dying right now!"