Twenty- Three

Finnlay's POV 

It's been a little over a week since Bree left me at the hotel. Making it a month that we've been in turmoil. Brody tried to talk to me in Chicago along with Eddie but it was no use. The wounds were still fresh. I knew by the way we had a ravenous night that something was up. While the mirror fuck was the hottest thing alongisde me shooting my load into her throat for the third time before passing out for the night, I knew deep down something was up. I was lucky enough to need to pee at six in the morning when her alarm went off. I turned it off and sat there for a half hour before deciding to use my phone as her alarm.

Knowing she walked out and left hurt me as I knocked on my mom's door at seven in the morning. I miss Bree so much it hurts. I miss the moments she was carefree with me before I left for all these away games. I answered my phone from which my mom is calling me.

"Finnlay my boy!" I chuckled and tossed the baseball in my hand. I got to the clubhouse two hours before I normally do. I can't sleep so I need to be in my space to find my mind again.

"Hi Mom. How, um, how are things? Don't you leave for your road trip next week?"

"Oh yes I do! So when's your next day off? Tuesday? Good come up for dinner will you."

"Um..." I checked the calendar on the wall. Yeah we have five games to go then a day off. "Yeah sure I'll be there. What time?"

"Oh let's do lunch! See you then." With a click my mom was gone. I stared at my phone wondering what the hell that just was.

⬤⬤⬤

"Oh good you're here!" My mom said opening the door. I stared at her oddly and she held one hand behind her back.

"Uh yeah mom you invited me for lunch."

"Right well, we'll get to that. First though... um hmm." She tilted her head in thought and I gave her another odd look.

"Mom what is going on with you?"

"Okay so just know this. All I've been doing is helping Bree think through everything. It overwhelmed her at times, she hasn't had a family in years, and sometimes it made her too confused. What she does know and what I am good to tell you is that she does love you and never wants to hurt you."

"Okay... so is she here?" I'd like to talk to her myself.

"She is. You'll get to talk to her all day if you want. You can even try to convince her to go stay with you but... well I'm working on that too."

"Mom jesus there's a lot going on right now."

"Mmm so there is. So I guess I'll stop talking and give you this. Bree made it." She stepped back hesitantly and handed me a piece of clothing. I unraveled it to come face to face with an infant onesie. On the front is the Padres logo. On the back is my number with the name "my dad." I froze upon seeing that and kept my gaze on it before my mom stepped closer.

"Cute huh. Do you... do you get it?"

"Yeah mom I... where's Bree?"

"Balcony." I quickly made my way there and caught Bree looking out over the scenery. When I stepped out she turned to me and shrugged.

"Um..." she took in a shaky breath. "We're pregnant." She held out a photo and I took it from her, our fingers brushing. In the photo is the ultrasound photo she took the day she got back from the all star game. Oh.

She's been going through a lot. I looked up to her and she bit her lip looking at me hesitantly. "I know the hotel room and the past month haven't been the best. I got nervous in Chicago. Naomi mentioned that I was pregnant but Khloe told me it was only a theory and then I started over thinking... you know the thing I love to do... and I got so scared that I was trapping you--" I cupped her face in my hands and brought her lips to mine.We moved as one and she raised a hand to lay it on my chest. I pulled back and she leaned up once more to kiss me, capturing my bottom lip. "I love you." She let out.

"I adore you." She looked up at me with emotion floating in her brown eyes. "How far along are we?" I whispered and she gave me a smile. Gripping my hand she turned over the ultrasound photo and I saw 12 weeks written on the back. Due date-- "we're due Valentine's Day. also the worst timing because you have to be down for training camp."

I shook my head and pulled her into my arms. "I can go to training camp late. We have a lot to figure out, don't we?"

"Yeah... Um, I think so."

"You think so." I pulled back with humor and she rolled her eyes. I moved my hands from her waist and to her stomach. She looked up to me and gave me a little sheepish smile. "This is a nice shock." I leaned down and kissed her as she shuffled up to kiss me.

After we had lunch together we made our way to the living room. My mom suggested that Bree take over the house rather than the apartment and once the baby comes more permanent plans can take place. "My condo lease ends at the end of next month... I'm open to looking for a place that you'd like Bree. For us." Bree leaned her head back on the couch, resting on my arm which is behind her and looked to me.

"Really? You'd want to move out of your condo."

"I mean the condo isn't practical now is it?" She gave me a smile knowing I was right. "We can look into another condo or a home. Whichever. I've also been thinking way ahead about getting or renting a place in Arizona while we do spring training. Or maybe you could bunk up with Naomi and you two could be with the kids. I think they only have five bedrooms though..." Bree looked at me a little alarmed and I pulled her into my lap. I sat sideways against the couch, leaning against the arm rest with her between my legs. "I get it, I'm freaking you out, but you are going to give birth in February. I'll be at training camp while you start the routines and I want to be there with you. I can't do that if you're here in St. Helena."

"Well... I mean that is a good idea. Those first few months are crucial." My mom nodded in her own separate chair and Bree began running her fingers along her stomach. "The baby is the size of a plum. That's it. A plum." She tilted her head back to look at me and I chuckled. "Do you want to come with me to the next appointment? I think I made it for a day you have off."

"Of course. Tell me when and I'll be there."