Chapter 12 In Working Order

The sun poured through the window. Another day had dawned, bringing with it new hopes and aspirations. The door creaked open as Luke approached. The timing was right. He covered my eyes with a piece of cloth.

"Are you ready?" he asked me.

"Yes"

He took me out of the room . I knew I couldn't see but I could hear. If I wanted to know what this place is all about I have to use my ears. After several steps, I felt myself walking on tiles.

So this place has floors made with tiles too.

I was put to an under-rate room and the floor was made with cement. The room had no fans, I had to soak in sweat, the food was delayed, I have to sleep on that cement floor. I could say my mom did a pretty good job as a step mom.

"Amaya, I am sorry.. I didn't mean that" he apologised while walking on the tiled floor.

I didn't give an answer. I didn't want to. Being silent is what I thought as best. After walking a quite a lot steps straight, he guided me to the left. This time I heard knocking of doors and people shouting help. I knew this was not a good sign.

"That's not good sign" I told him.

"Just ignore what your hearing" he ordered.

"So this is my mom's job and you love doing this too" I smiled in a sarcastic manner.

He didn't answer me. I couldn't see his expressions but something made me think he was guilty. I had many thoughts going through my head.

I wanted to run off to the cops and tell them to check on the inserted chip in my body. But I know that I wouldn't able to that as this place is secured.

"Your here" he removed the cloth off my eyes. I fluttered my eyes before I could get a glimpse of what lies ahead of me. Yes, there she is the woman I hate.

"Hey sweetie, after this you will be free" she cheered. I turned and took a glance at the person wearing green and with a surgical mask awaiting do his task.

"Yeah, I heard about your new job.. interesting" I simpered.

She turned towards Luke dazing. He shook his head giving that 'I-didn't-tell-anything' look. She looked back to me smiling.

"Doctor start with the work" (in Sinhala)

She left the room with Luke. I was ordered to lie back on the bed and was injected to lie unconscious.