Chapter 4 Forfeiture

Dad was tight in his work and he had to emplace me into a government school. Things were dense. Every subjects were written in Sinhala. I had to commence all over again. I didn't know Sinhala.

I went to the library and started reading and learning by myself. It was difficult. After school, I was expected to wash all the dishes and also mop the house. During the weekend I wasn't able to study for my exam.

My mother was sick. The doctors said she has Myeloma. Surviving was hard for her. She went through severe body pains peculiarly in her spine and chest. She always looked tired and insipid. I remembered the days when she used to smile all the time when I see her. She habituated to make me laugh all the time with her contagious jokes.I would crave to see her smile on her face once again but I was regardless if I will get to.

She needed water endlessly. Things were only turning worse. It is not the woman I saw before. A skinny lady powerless to walk. She knew her time was coming.

After my mom was gone, I had to do all the work that she did. Sometimes I feel sorry for my mom. She has to undertake all of this single-handed. After I had accomplished all my work I was carrying out to study on my homework.

"Amaya come down and help me clean out this mess" My grandma would say. I had to tell my grandma that this time it is a NO.

"Aachi I am sorry, I cannot help you now. I have to study now.. it is genuinely important" I had to tell her.

"Darling you do not have to study...me and your father are planning to stop school when your 16" I was alarmed.

Wait was she serious? I have so many dreams to pull off

"You guys do not care about me at all... You guys are ill-educated" I put down everything I could see from her table.

"You're wrong Amaya! Your father is a well-educated person.. He knows what is best for you.. when your 16 your getting married and that's it!"

"No Aachi your wrong... a learned man and an educated man are two different meanings" I ran upstairs weeping.

I was depressed also horror-struck. I am fifteen and in a few months it's my birthday. I locked my room and was in deep thought.

What can I do?

I heard my father yelling downstairs calling my name. I saw the window and something hit my head.

I know what to do....