Chapter 8

"What's happening? Tell me where the address is. I'm coming over to pick you up." Liam's speech sped up a little, but it was still calm enough to give strength.

His voice was so melodious against the shrill-to-broken voice.

Alex's tears were completely out of his control as he cried and reported his address, surrounded by cold darkness, like a ferocious beast in an abyss that was choosing to devour him. He was about to be swallowed down with his bones. 

The cold touch was pressed dead against his body, its wide palms pinching his waist as if to break it. Alex shivered with pain, every second of time so agonising, he didn't know how long he held on, his body shaking, he didn't dare open his eyes as the ghost kept speaking to him. At one time his own voice, at another Cedric's voice, so many voices switching back and forth as if a million heads were lying on his shoulders, shouting to Alex in unison.

"Jump!"

"Jump!!!"

"Jump!!!"

The hand moved from his waist to his ankle, and a great force yanked him downwards. Alex squeezed his phone with one hand and grabbed the handrail with the other, he was exhausted. Something so heavy strapped to his foot that his ankle seemed to be breaking, and in the darkness, he fought hard against it, his whole body wobbling, his foot in his shoe suddenly straining out in a poignant arch, like a strange dance.

So painful.

So cold.

So tiring.

A cold, soft touch came from Alex's neck, and a small head pressed against his ear, crying out in a whisper, "Mommy."

A voice like a nightmare.

Tears flowed silently and Alex's whole body shivered as an irresistible force dragged one of his feet forward, and the chill came over him as he fell backwards into the abyss -

A long, strong hand gripped his wrist firmly.

It was warm and hot.

The warm, powerful force pulled him out of the abyss and he fell backwards into a wide, firm embrace, the whole world that belonged to him tipped over at that moment, and Alex's nose caught the deep, woody scent that was unique to Liam's body, a scent so reassuring that it could compel the mind.

"Al!" Liam's tone dripped with an afterthought, he seemed to have run up and spoke with a slight gasp, "How could you be so careless? You almost fall down the stairs."

The heart in his chest was still beating violently, seemingly drowning in the afterglow of fear, Alex slowly opened his eyes, the light was on, a brightness in front of him that made his mind go blank, his lost dark eyes filled with tears, seemingly on the verge of breaking under the light.

In the blinding light, the lax pupils focused sluggishly, and crystal tears flowed out of the reddened eyes, snaking down with the clear, snow-white skin and converging on the shapely jaw, which was about to fall. Liam, who was chanting anxiously, stopped his thin lips from opening and closing, his long, narrow eyes widening slightly at this moment.

He looked at Alex.

Alex did not realise how stunningly beautiful he was at the moment, dominated by fear, the red marks of his weeping, his beautifully defined neck, his trembling lips like a delicate and fragile work of art, or a sacrifice to be made.

"Liam?"

The call was a little soft, like the cry of a frightened kitten, one pitiful cry after another, and all he knew was to seek Liam's help.