We'll break this city and wear it like a crown

The Ravkans, Shu, and Fjerdans had gotten themselves into a tangle of a fistfight that had left several soldiers bruised and bleeding

The Ravkans, Shu, and Fjerdans had gotten themselves into a tangle of a fistfight that had left several soldiers bruised and bleeding. The Shu had departed, issuing threats of military action for the death of one of their citizens. The Fjerdans had apparently marched to the doors of the Stadhall to demand that Matthias Helvar be found and arrested, only to be informed to return to their embassy immediately or risk being forcibly removed.

Now only the Merchant Council and a few of the stadwatch remained near the altar, arguing.

Wylan was a mess, there had nearly been a riot, and Ketterdam's reputation was in tatters, and yet Wylan had to smile. "We did it. And I know Kaz had his own motives, but I'm pretty sure that we just helped prevent a war."

If Ravka had won the auction, the Shu or the Fjerdans would have found some excuse to launch an attack on Ravka to get their hands on Kuwei. Now Kuwei would be safe, and even if someone else eventually developed parem, the Ravkans might soon be on their way to developing an antidote.

"Probably," said Jesper.

At that moment, a young man raced up the aisle of the cathedral and handed a sheaf of papers to Jellen Radmakker. They bore the pale green seal of the Gemensbank, they would show that all of the Merchant Council's money had been funneled from a false jurda fund directly into an account intended for the Shu.

A stadwatch officer was clapping shackles on Van Eck, who was thrashing like a fish caught on a line. "It's Brekker's work," said Van Eck. "Find the farmer. Find Pekka Rollins. They'll tell you."

"Stop making a spectacle of yourself," Radmakker whispered furiously. "You should be grateful we don't throw you in Hellgate right now. Forty million kruge of the Council's money has vanished. Kerch has been made a laughingstock. Do you have any idea of the damage you caused today?"

Alys reached for Wylan's hand. "Why is Jan in trouble?"

Wylan felt sorry for her. She was sweet and silly and had never done anything more than marry where her family bid her. If Wylan had the right of it, his father would be brought up on charges of fraud and treason. Knowingly entering into a false contract for the purpose of subverting the market wasn't just illegal, it was considered blasphemy, a blight on the works of Ghezen, and the penalties were harsh.

If his father was found guilty, he'd be stripped of his right to own property or hold funds. His entire fortune would pass to Alys and his unborn heir. Wylan wasn't sure Alys was ready for that kind of responsibility.

He gave her hand a squeeze. "It's going to be okay," he said. "I promise."

And he meant it. They'd find a good attorney to help Alys with the estate. If Kaz knew all the swindlers in Ketterdam, then he must know who the honest dealers were too.