You're pointing at stars in the sky that already died

They descended a series of ancient steps into a dank tunnel. Zoya led them up a narrow metal ladder and into a bare room with a ceiling so low Matthias had to bend double. A moment later, they came upon a group of people huddled together. There were about fifteen of them, all ages and colors.

Nina had estimated the number of Grisha in the city as closer to thirty. Maybe the others got out on their own or are just lying low. Or perhaps they'd already been captured.

Zoya led them through an archway to an area where Matthias was relieved to be able to stand upright. His relief dissolved when one of Zoya's armed men produced a pair of shackles, and Zoya pointed directly at Matthias.

Immediately, Nina stepped in front of him, and she and Zoya began arguing in Ravkan.

Matthias recalled a memory: back at Fjerda when Nina and Kaz got into an argument, she'd lifted her hands, threatening to crack Kaz's skull. But Aeolian moved in front of her and stopped her.

"No more," Nina finally said in Kerch. "Matthias
remains free and we continue this conversation in a language we all understand."

"Nina!" The cry came from a redheaded girl.

"Genya!" Nina whooped. But her expression dropped when she saw Genya's face covered in scars, and a red silk eye patch covering an eye. Genya Safin—the renowned Tailor. They've all heard about the war and what happened to Genya but none of them had thought about the intensity of her injuries—until they saw it with their own eyes.

Nina shuddered as the two figures embraced.

Genya said. "We thought you were dead."

Zoya said. "We heard the Drüskelle took you."

"The worst happened," Nina said. "And then it happened some more." She took Matthias' hand. "But we're here now."

Zoya glared at their clasped hands and crossed her arms. "What are you doing here? Are you and your Fjerdan...accessory trying to get out of Ketterdam?"

Matthias look was sour, I'm not an accessory. He thought grimly. But he couldn't blame her, the drüskelle and the Grisha were sworn enemies.

"You have no idea what forces are at work here, Nina. The Shu have developed a drug Jurda parem." Genya cut in.

Nina squeezed Matthias' hand. "I know. I've seen it used. I've...experienced it myself."

Genya's and Zoya looked at Nina questionably.

Nina sighed. "It's been a rough year. I swear I'll explain it all to you. But we came here tonight, to help. We have a ship."

Zoya waved a dismissive hand. "We have a ship too. The harbor has been blockaded by the Kerch and the Council of Tides."

Kaz had been right. Van Eck was using every bit of his influence with the government to ensure Kaz didn't get Kuwei out of Ketterdam.

Nina said. "But our ship belongs to a member of the Kerch Merchant Council."

Nina filled in some of the details for Zoya and Genya, but she did not mention Kuwei and she steered very clear of any talk of the Ice Court.