Dancin' around the lies we tell

(The university district)

Whenever the crew left Black Veil Island, they wore the costumes of the Komedie Brute. But here on the respectable avenues of the university district, Wylan and Jesper had ditched their costumes.

Jesper had dressed as respectably as he could. Once again he found himself reaching for his revolvers. Smeet had ordered the floor boss to store them in a safe at the Cumulus.

Kaz said they'd get them back, but he doubted Kaz would be so calm and collected if someone had swiped his cane. Jesper reminded himself. He'd done it for Aeolian. And if he was honest, he'd done it for Kaz too, to show he was willing to do what it took to make things right. Not that it seemed to matter much.

Even thought they were entering the University. This was Ketterdam, and it was possible he and Wylan were walking into a trap. That was why Kaz and Matthias were shadowing their steps.

Rotty had taken a message to the hotel where the man claiming to be Jesper's father was staying, so they could set a time and place to meet. If his father really was in Ketterdam, it was possible he was being used as bait.

Jesper sometimes wondered what might have happened if he'd never walked into that gambling parlor and taken that first spin at Makker's Wheel. It was meant to be harmless fun. But Jesper's life had split into two: the time before he'd stepped up to that wheel and every day since.