Fireworks

Tonight wasn't supposed to be important, never mind memorable, but it was.
"Come on!" Kat says, pulling me past the park with my hand. This morning she came to my door while I was still in my pyjamas, telling me that everyone was waiting. It's nearly seven'o'clock, at night may I add, and I'm tired. What I really want is to go home, not to be running around behind my excitable friend, who won't stop smiling.
"Kat, tell me what is happening" I complain, slowing down a bit so I can speak without rasping.
"No no no, this is a surprise" she beams, shaking her head, her blonde curls bouncing on her shoulders. I groan, but I am getting nervous. My friends don't do stuff like this and they never have. It makes me wonder about Jethro. He seems like the kind of person who would make my friends prepare something this late at night.
"This isn't fair!" I cry out, making Kat giggle and grab my hand again.
"Come on, come on!" she grins, her laughs echoing into the night. I realise that the sun is already setting and I know that if my mum wasn't so upset she wouldn't ever let me out this late. I honestly don't think she knows that I'm 17.
"Almost here" Kat informs me and I try and nod. My throat is so dry that if I speak I think I'll sound like I'm off Lord of the rings. I didn't have time to tie up my hair before leaving so I dread to think about the sight of it. Kat stops running very abruptly, making me crash into her backside like you see on cartoons.
"Okay, now close your eyes" Kat is still smiling as she turns around to face me. I roll my eyes at her.
"I'm not sure if I can trust you..."
"Oh, you'll love this surprise. Now shut up complaining and close your eyes."
I sigh, and close my eyes, hands on my hips.
"Okay, now reach out your hands."
Kat grabs my hands and starts to pull me forward slowly, confusing my mind so I don't know where I'm going.
"Three, two, one...Now open your eyes" she cries, clapping her palms together. Before me, there is a clearing that is in the shape of a circle. All my friends, oh and Jethro, stand in a huddle, grinning really weirdly at me. I smile an awkward smile and look at the floor.
"What's happening?" I ask. Josh shrugs.
"Nothing, this is your surprise."
'Well, how disappointing' I think, but don't say anything out loud.
"Um, thanks..."
"Now Matt!" Jess shouts into the bushes somewhere, startling me. Ten seconds of uncomfortable silence follows her order, then the first bang erupts in the sky, sending a burst of colour through the darkness. My mouth drops open in surprise as the fireworks illuminate the night. Matt comes bursting through the clearing, his face flushed.
"Oh my God" I whisper, smiling into the dark for the first time since my Dad's death. "This is amazing!"
"Just for you Mon" Josh laughs.
"Why?"
"We felt that you needed a cheer-up" Kat says, coming to stand next to me. I feel the tears in my eyes begin to well up with salty water.
"You guys are the best" I grin, pulling them into a group hug. Jethro sits just a little away, looking into the sky and seeming upset to some degree.
"Jethro" I say, gaining his attention. "Come on then."
He shakes his head, rejecting our hug, but staring at me.
"Thank you" I mouth to him, and he smiles a little, turning back to the sky.
Maybe I don't hate him so much anymore.
Maybe the boy in the graveyard isn't such a bad person.