Isa tried to eat her picarone first, but Shuriki put a hand over the tray. "Nice try. Eat your veggies and meat first, then you can have your dessert."

Isa sighed. "Okay..." Then a smile broke out across her face. "Can't blame a girl for trying, right?"

Shuriki chuckled. "I suppose not. Better luck next time, little princess."

Esteban rubbed the back of his neck. He felt odd-guilty even- sitting with Shuriki and Isa, conversing and sharing a meal like a real family. It felt wrong, or right in the wrong ways? Esteban bit back a frustrated sigh. He didn't know how to feel about the entire situation or what to think anymore. He was more confused now than ever and growing tired of his own wariness.

Isabel, on the other hand, seemed to be thriving. Her health was better than it'd ever been and she'd been exhilarated by Shuriki's decision to move school classes into the palace.

Señorita Marisol, Professor Ochoa, and the students had been nervous at first, especially when Shuriki had begun showing up to sit in on lessons from time to time, but they grew used to it after a while. It didn't bother any of them anymore once Shuriki got into the unexpected habit of bringing treats for everyone.

Esteban wanted to hope. He wanted to believe things could work out, that there was love-or at least fondness-for him in Shuriki's heart, but how could he after all she'd done? He was having trouble forgive himself let alone her.

Shuriki herself sat there oblivious to his inner turmoil. She finally paused when Isabel began to yawn and rub at her eyes. "Bedtime, princess."

Isa didn't argue. The sun had set and she was used to going to sleep at dusk unless working late on one of her inventions. It had become custom for Esteban to walk her to her room and for Shuriki to tuck her in.

Esteban rose from his chair and went to take one of Isa's hands in his while Shuriki held onto the other. Isa kept close to them and remained quiet as they escorted her through one of the side doors located in Shuriki's solar.

The rooms Shuriki had chosen for Isa were spacious and far larger than her old chambers. The witch had even set up a worktable for Isa so the prodigy could work on her quieter inventions without having to trek all the way to her tower. Shuriki had decorated the apartment in soft, calming shades of pink, yellow, and blue with hints of dark brown.

"It's beautiful," Isa murmured. "Much better than my old rooms." She turned to Shuriki. "Gracias, Shuriki."

Shuriki smiled. "You're welcome, dear."

She helped Isabel get ready for bed. Esteban stayed by the door averting his gaze so Isabel could have some privacy while she undressed and put on her nightgown. Shuriki gave Isa a good-night kiss on her forehead then stepped aside and allowed Esteban to do the same before they left the room.

Shuriki led Esteban through the second side door located on the opposite side of her solar. The witch had chosen maroon, turquoise, charcoal grey, and gold when decorating his new apartment. Her own apartment had been toned with emerald, dusty rose, and gold with subtle hints of coral and black. He knew because she'd insisted he stay the night now and then despite his failing to consummate their marriage.

Esteban gave her a polite bow. "Thank you, Queen Shuriki. This is quite lovely."

"It's no more than you deserve," she replied, "and the least I can do. I'm looking forward to spending time with you and Isabel. As I said earlier, we're a family, and families stick together, do they not?"

Esteban nodded. "They do."

"They grow too, don't they?"

Esteban hesitated. "I..."

Shuriki closed the distance between them to caress his cheek. "I'm trying, Esteban, but even my patience has its limits. We've been wed for half a year. How much longer must I wait for you to come to my bed? Or should I come to yours? Is that what you'd prefer? It can be arranged."

Esteban shook his head. "N-no, that's not...it's just...I'm...I need more time..."

Shuriki frowned. "Is that so?"

Esteban nodded.

The woman sighed. "So be it." She then turned and headed towards her rooms. "Don't take too long, Esteban. You know what will happen if I lose my patience."

Esteban knew how she could get when someone made her wait. Shuriki didn't take rejection well. She'd never had to. Men flocked to her. Why wouldn't they? She was a beautiful, powerful woman in her own position of absolute authority. Being in the queen's favor had its perks, but losing her favor oft meant forfeiting one's life. He wasn't ready to die. Who'd take care of Isa and look after Avalor?

Esteban ran a hand through his hair. It was getting late. He needed to get some rest else wise Doña Paloma would run circles around him tomorrow. He had agreed to meet up with her to discuss arrangements for this year's festival of friendship. The magister tended to go overboard if left to her own devices. Esteban needed to be at his best if she got out of hand and he had to reign her in.

He stripped off his clothes and rinsed himself off using a clean cloth, bar of soap, and basin of warm water. Once he'd cleaned up, he put on a nightshirt and pants from his mahogany dresser and climbed in bed.

He was just starting to doze off when he heard footsteps and laughter drifting in from Shuriki's solar. The sound of a door opening and closing piqued his curiosity.

Esteban felt like a mischevous child tiptoeing barefoot through the solar. One of the doors to Shuriki's room had been left open just enough for him to peek inside. What Esteban saw made his blood run cold.

Shuriki was on her balcony in the arms of another man, his mouth on hers, with his hands exploring her feminine figure under the relatively tight confines of her vermilion gown.

Esteban clutched at his chest. He felt his heart shatter, all his hopes dying with it, the scant remnants hardening towards the witch. Esteban's blood began to boil as he turned on his heel and headed to Isa's room.

He couldn't believed he'd been so foolish. Shuriki didn't give a damn about him or Isabel.

Damn that wretched woman, he seethed.

The queen thought she could play with his emotions? Prey on his fears? Never again! Esteban was ready to prove just how wrong the old witch was. Shuriki had toyed with him for the last time.