[1.1.5]

𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯: 𝘖𝘯𝘦
𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘖𝘯𝘦: 𝘋𝘪𝘢𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘞𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳
𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘍𝘪𝘷𝘦: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘖𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢

______________________
Lady Whistledown's
SOCIETY PAPERS

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying.

This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

It has reached my ears that Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the year's grand prize when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged.

______________________

"Did you hear, Flore?" Cressida rushed up to me, looping our arms together as our mama's followed behind us.

"Whatever about?" I giggle, watching as she pulled out the latest Whistledown paper.

Cressida grinned at me, before gesturing down towards the page. "Apparently Daphne is being courted by Lord Berbrooke."

"No," I look from her to the paper, scanning it quickly and gasping when indeed read what it says. "Poor Daph."

"All the better for us," Cressida sighs and looks around at the park. "I can imagine it now. Duchess Florence of Windsor and Duchess Cressida of Hastings! Our mamas would be so proud!"

"That they would," I muse, "are you going to the Opera tonight?"

"Of course! Only everyone who is anyone in the Ton is going!" Cressida says, smiling over at a group of gentlemen as we pass. "I'll see you there, right?"

"Of course," I nod my head before bidding her and her mother goodbye and starting back towards our waiting carriage.

______________________

"Well, well, well, don't you look marvelous," I say, walking up to Cressida with a wide grin.

She lets out a quiet chuckle as she pulls me in for a hug. "You as well, Flore. I love this color on you."

We talk for a few more moments before we are pulled apart by our mothers, who were both talking to separate groups of people. Promising to see each other soon, we split apart and start towards our mamas.

"Miss Huntingdon! What a lovely surprise!"

"Frederick?" I do a double-take when I see him. "What are you doing here?"

"I accompanied an old family friend for the evening," he said, gesturing to the Queen, who watched me with a critical eye.

I do a deep curtsy before standing back up and smiling softly. "Your Majesty. An honor, as always."

She huffs before nodding slightly in return. "Yes.

"Lady Bridgerton," Lady Danbury calls, smiling towards Daphne and her mother. "Do join us."

The Queen lets out a small huff and turns towards her Frederick, fixing his suit with a small smile before turning towards me. "The Huntingdon girl... what a choice indeed, my darling."

"Your Majesty, we are not-" Frederick quickly gets interrupted by the Queen's hand.

"Don't bother," she says, looking at me and offering me what could only be the world's smallest smile. "It seems as though I was correct on one count."

Daphne and her mother arrive at the group, each doing a polite curtsy before standing and smiling toward everyone.

"Your Majesty, good evening," Lady Bridgerton says, her voice shaking only slightly. "You must remember my daughter, Daphne."

"Yes," the Queen turned her attention towards Daphne, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly. "She made quite an impression... however fleeting it may have been."

"Your Maje-" Frederick implored.

"Miss Huntingdon, however... it seems as though I was correct," the Queen nods at me and mother once more before disappearing to her box, leaving behind a flustered Frederick.

"I'm sorry about her... the Whistledown woman has got her-"

"It's no problem," mama assured, flashing him a comforting smile. "The entire Ton seems to be slightly on edge with Whistledown."

"It was lovely to see you again, Miss Huntingdon," Frederick turns back towards me and offers me another warm smile. "Hopefully we can meet again soon."

"That would be lovely, Your Grace," I nod my head and smile at him.

"Please don't. Just Frederick will do... Your Grace sounds far too posh and formal for someone that I consider a good friend to say." He smiles again at me before being called away by one of the Queen's footmen. "It was lovely to see you Lady Huntingdon... Miss Huntingdon."

We nod our heads once more and watch as he turns away, walking over to the footmen before pausing and sharing a few hushed words with them. Frederick glances back at us and turns back towards the footmen before continuing to talk. After a few more minutes, he turns back around with a wide smile and makes his way over to us.

"I would be honored if you both would accompany me to a private box..."

I look, wide-eyed, to mama, who looked just as shocked as me.

"O- oh! Oh, um, of course, Your Grace," mama said, nodding her head eagerly as she looked between me and Frederick. "We would be honored."

Frederick nodded and smiled happily at us both before walking us to our box.

"What is happening, mama?" I whisper, glancing over at her while we walk up the long staircase.

"Just go with it, my dear," mama whispered back to me, sending me an encouraging smile.

_______

don't forget to comment and vote!
-T