Prologue

The wind nipped against the exposed skin of my stomach as I stood on the deck overlooking the acres of land we had. The smell of rain was strong, and the forest was quieter than ever. Trees lined the perimeters of the field almost like a natural barrier, allowing for the wolves of the pack to shift freely without fear of being seen by the humans. I grumbled, hands flexing at my side nervously as I waited for my father to appear into the clearing. Ever since my mother had passed away it seemed that he rarely left my side, eager to become both parents. Being away from me for so long made me more than just a little worried.

I sniffed the air, closing my eyes to really connect with my senses. Blood.

Fear coursed through my veins because it wasn't that of a wounded animal. It smelled of fear, it smelled of wolf, it smelled of my father. Before I could comprehend, I had broken into a full-blown sprint, my 9-year-old legs moving faster than I had ever thought possible. I could just feel in my spirit that I was supposed to find him, immediately.

Faster, Faster but I couldn't move faster than I already was, the trees around me blurred into brown and green as I ran as fast as I possibly could. Finally, the smell became overpowering causing me to slow to a stop. My father lay in his wolf form, his fur matted with blood and his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth as he drew in painful breaths. I ran to him, falling onto my knees in despair.

"Daddy, please. What happened, please!" I begged, running my hand along his snout, his eyes stared into my mine in surprise. I hadn't shifted into my wolf, I was too young, so I wasn't able to mind link him, but somehow, I knew everything he was saying to me. Run.

The sound of snapping branches caught my attention as I looked up, a large red wolf coming into focus. Its eyes were pure black, driven crazy by the need for power. Killing an Alpha was something few could dream of, and if you happened to you could take over. Fear coursed through my veins as it inched closer, its teeth barred- almost as if it were smiling.

"Please, don't do this. I need him, he's all I have left" I begged, moving my body to cover his. The wolf barked, its eyes taunting me. I was just a pup, he knew it. However, he didn't know how determined I was to not lose another parent. My dad, my alpha was all I had left.

"I'm warning you, do not come any closer. Leave, I can hear our warriors breaking the tree line now. This doesn't have to be the end for you" I threatened weakly, my hands shaking as I stood in front of my father. I could feel the warm breath on my ankles, encouraging me to be brave. Anything to save him, anything.

Without warning, the wolf took off into a sprint coming straight towards me. I screamed, rolling my shoulders as I took on his full weight. Claws dug deep into my shoulders causing pain to ripple through my body. I could feel it in my toes. I was paralyzed looking into its soul-less eyes as it pulled away from me, stalking towards my father.

"No, No! PLEASE! Please!" I all but screamed, my body begging for me to just be still. The wolf let out a bark that sounded like a laugh before digging his claws into the belly of my father.

All I felt was pain. Intense, mind-bending pain. There was a ringing in my ears, and it was as if gravity no longer held me to the earth. Air no longer supplied the amount of air needed to breathe correctly and I was no longer the 9-year-old innocent girl. I had lost my father, and so I had lost my innocence.

The blackness behind my closed eyes grew into a brilliant display of greens and purples, as my soul merged with my wolf. Onyx.

I knew I had shifted; I could feel it in the change of gravity. I blinked open my eyes, not able to marvel at how much more I could see, or how much more I could heal. All I could feel was rage, blood curdling rage. All I could see was this wolf standing over my father, its snout covered in my father's blood.

I let out a growl so harrowing that even the wolf froze, but there was no warning other than that as my teeth met its throat. My paws pushing into its shoulder's, clawing at its underbelly as I latched on to its jugular. Surprise worked in my favor, there was barely struggle as I used every ounce of strength in my body and crushed its windpipe, before I shook my head successfully breaking its neck. The sound of what would be a whimper, but was gurgling noises, escaped as his eyes lost his soul.

The sound of paws coming to a stop caught my attention, I turned to see the warriors of the pack standing around the two dead wolves. One being our Alpha. I let out a growl, unable to control the animalistic power being a wolf had. I wanted no one close to my father, none of them had been here to help. I could feel the title of Alpha sitting heavily on my shoulders as the power seeped into my bones. My wolf grew a little taller, her fierceness never faltering.

Alpha.