Chapter 21 - Lightning Fast Reactions

Start from the beginning

Krokorok made his way through the numerous tunnels he had made and back towards Zebstrika. It was fairly easy to figure out which hole Zebstrika was trapped in and he began setting up a Sand Tomb, wanting as much power in it as possible.

Elesa knew she had to get Zebstrika out of the hole he was trapped in and fast. If Sand Tomb hit, Zebstrika was in big trouble. Since there was nowhere to run to now that there were so many holes on the battle field, a successful hit from Sand Tomb would no doubt seal the battle's end.

"Zebstrika, free yourself by using Double Kick on the ground," Elesa called, knowing she had no other choice but to call for her counter to Dark Types. Revealing it now was far from ideal, but it was at least better than losing the battle there and then.

Zebstrika nodded and he kicked away at the ground, managing to free himself and jump away mere milliseconds before Krokorok's Sand Tomb could hit. Elesa was to say the least relieved.

"That was close, smart play using Dig like that. Limiting Zebstrika's movement really was your only chance. But this battle is not over yet, Zebstrika, use Discharge on the field!" Elesa called, hoping her plan would work.

Kyra had Krokorok come back to the surface, and she was very glad she had. Zebstrika's control over Discharge helped fill in the holes Krokorok had made with Dig, giving Zebstrika back the advantage of having full mobility on the field.

"That some control Zebstrika has," Kyra commented, shocked by how well Zebstrika had used Discharge, not a single spark of the attack had gone into the wrong place. Elesa was very clearly a persistent trainer to have taught Zebstrika that well.

"Although Electric Type attacks don't effect Ground Types, they still have their uses against them. I honestly wasn't sure if that was going to work or not because I normally only have Zebstrika use Discharge like that when battling a Water Type and it has left pools of water on the field, potentially after a Rain Dance if a trainer decides to set it up. At least I know for next time now too," Elesa replied, curious to see how Kyra would attack next.

Kyra was even more taken aback now. Elesa had taken such a high stake risk and it had well paid off. Even she wouldn't have thought of using an Electric Type attack the way Elesa had done. Elesa was certainly a skilled Electric Type Specialist.

Now that Dig was out of the question, and Sand Tomb wouldn't work as well since Zebstrika could just out speed it, there was very little Kyra and Krokorok could do. Getting in close when Zebstrika knew Double Kick was far too much of a risk for Kyra to take. Even if Krokorok could avoid the attacks at first, Zebstrika's speed would soon cut that streak short.

"Stumped as to how to deal with Zebstrika's speed? Don't worry, most trainer's are. Krokorok still has two moves I've not seen yet, surely there's got to be something you can use," Elesa commented, coaxing Kyra into getting Krokorok in close.

Kyra knew she had to take a very big risk if she wanted to win. Krokorok knew Assurance, an attack that doubled in power if the user had just taken damage. If Krokorok got in close and could withstand a Double Kick then lash out with Assurance, Zebstrika would most likely be defeated. Krokorok's Attack was higher than Zebstrika's Defense, giving Kyra hope that Assurance would be enough to knock Zebstrika out.

Krokorok ran towards Zebstrika when Kyra told him to, he was sure Kyra would have a plan and he trusted her. Although it was against every instinct he had to get in close to Zebstrika, Kyra was a smart trainer and she wouldn't put him in harms way.

"Fine by us, Zebstrika, use Double Kick!" Elesa called, hoping this battle would soon end in Zebstrika's victory.

Krokorok dug his claws into the ground just before Zebstrika could land his attacks. His claws helped him to keep his balance and he managed to stay close enough to land a close range attack, lashing out with Assurance as Kyra made her call.