fineshrine

Applause breaks inside the ballroom, which could only mean one thing: Leo has finished his speech and Carlos' party is officially over. In a moment, people would start streaming out of the main door, and Lisa could almost imagine the look on Rosé's face when she sees them in their rumpled dresses on the steps.

"I thought you'd never ask," Jennie says finally, and when Lisa turns to her again, she is standing up and reaching out for her, grinning.

Something plummets right inside Lisa, scorching a path from the base of her throat to the pit of her stomach. "Jennie?"

"Let's get out of here," She just says, pulling her up.

They slip out of the building just as the people start spilling out, and they stumble into their car just before the cameras are up again at the red carpet for the end-of-party interviews. Jennie climbs in after Lisa, giggling as she tells their driver to take them home.

"They'd probably look for us," says Lisa breathlessly, as Jennie's shoulder bumps into hers at a turn in the road.

"Let them," She says, hand careless on the girl's thigh, and Lisa tries to keep breathing; tries not to zero-in on that touch. "Or would you like to take a picture, just so they know we're out together?"

"Jen."

"Come here," says the brunette, inching closer to Lisa, phone already in hand. She knows how this goes; damn, by this time, this should be so automatic – it's a selfie with Jennie, and they probably have dozens by now – but jesus, it never gets easier, and Lisa still trembles slightly when her cheek brushes against hers by accident.

@jennierubyjane: off to the after-party with @lalalalisa_m rockin' party pic.twitter.com/4J1bSU8PKV

"After-party, hm?" Lisa says, upon hearting Jennie's tweet. "Where are you really taking me, Ms Kim?" she asks, narrowing her eyes playfully.

Jennie just laughs, rolling her eyes before leaning her head upon her shoulder. "I'm making this up as we go," she says, burrowing closer, and Lisa swallows hard at the feel of her stomach somersaulting. This night is full of bad ideas. So many bad ideas. "Just go along with it."

"Yes ma'am." Off the rearview mirror, Lisa sees the shadow of Jennie's smile. She stares at it throughout the quiet ride home.

*

Lisa follows Jennie into the elevator, giggling like schoolgirls misbehaving. They don't say much on the ride up; they speak in smiles and eyebrow lifts and god, the butterflies in the taller's gut must be drunk as well, fluttering about messily amid all that whiskey swirling in her stomach.

When the elevator doors open, Lisa stumbles out with Jennie, her heels catching on the carpet, and she curses out so loudly in her surprise that the brunette has to shush her, hand around her wrist.

Fuck. Lisa looks around – she can't decide whether she's still drunk or if she's sobering up quickly because Jennie's holding and tugging at her, and when they turn into the corridor at the end of the hallway that's when it hits her.

We're on her floor. Lisa watches as Jennie takes out her keys, letting them dangle noisily in her other hand, while still gripping her hand in the other. Shit. Lisa thinks about how she's not supposed to be here, about how she's probably better off in her own room, taking her make-up off and drinking water to completely counter this potential hangover—

But then, now Jennie's pushing her keys into her door and opening it slowly, and Lisa's first instinct is to breathe in the moment she says, "So this is where I live."