4: Lucky Number Thirteen

Start from the beginning

"Isn't that a Stray Kids song?" Taehyun reckoned.

Jake, Yeonjun, and Beomgyu nodded.

"Seungmin in the building," Beomgyu whispered, half-heartedly waving a hand in the air.

"Seungmin in the building!" Jake raised his arms and pointed at Beomgyu, who lit up and returned the gesture.

Sunghoon and Taehyun watched the pair curiously.

"What?" Heeseung asked.

"Nothing," Beomgyu grinned.

The boys sat quietly for a few minutes, brainstorming ideas. The sound of pencils scratching against paper filled the room.

"What about 'Belift?'" Yeonjun proposed. "No colon, keep things nice and simple."

Jungwon put down his pencil. "I like it."

"Me too. Also, I'm tired of thinking," Sunoo sighed.

Ni-ki snickered, gently pushing him. Sunoo batted the younger boy away, annoyed.

"All in favor, raise your hand?" Heeseung counted twelve, including his own. "Okay, 'Belift' it is."

He lightly scribbled the name onto the packet, letting his eyes wander farther down the page.

"Uh oh." He looked up, grimacing.

"What is it?" Sunghoon asked.

"Debut's scheduled exactly four weeks from now. And the producers only wrote two songs before they got fired."

The boys exchanged worried looks.

"Don't worry," Heeseung quickly reassured. "I'll figure something out. We can write the songs ourselves, maybe even ask BTS sunbaenim for help, if necessary."

He noticed Soobin's face fall and silently cursed at himself for forgetting the sensitive talk they had the day before.

"Um, let's see what's next. Oh wow." Heeseung cleared his throat. "On Friday-that's in three days-we're moving to a new dorm. All of us, together."

"Together? Yes!" Ni-ki gave Huening Kai a high-five.

Soobin and Sunghoon traded shy smiles as Beomgyu and Jake pointed at each other from across the room again.

"Wow. I was not expecting that." Yeonjun crossed his arms and sat back, staring at Heeseung.

"Me neither," Heeseung replied, furrowing his eyebrows.

He relaxed his face.

Everything was going smoothly. There was no reason to stress.

"What else is there?" Jungwon inquired, stretching his arms.

Heeseung squinted at the packet. "It says we have to choose relative positions."

"What do they mean 'relative' positions?" Soobin leaned forward, trying to read off the paper.

"I guess we decide the mains," Heeseung replied. "And all of the rappers."

"But the company usually does that." Jungwon pursed his lips. "Where are our managers?"

"I get the feeling we'll be doing a lot of things by ourselves from now on," Heeseung sighed. "Okay, let's start with the easy stuff. Main dancers should be Yeonjun hyung and Ni-ki."

Everyone nodded in agreement.

Ni-ki looked up hesitantly. "I'm not sure I can choreograph."

"You can, and you're good," Yeonjun reassured. "I watched I-Land. Besides, we'll be working together."