MY THOUGHTS SHOULD BE MINE

CHAPTER THREE
↣ my thoughts should be mine

CHAPTER THREE↣ my thoughts should be mine

◂ ❚ ⊱ꕥ⊰ ❚ ▸

Food was eaten, stories were told ( although just how true Lambert's were was questionable ), laughter was shared, loud cackles from a group of — supposedly — emotionless Witchers.

The thought that these creatures were, in fact, emotionless — came from an old wives tale, if you will. The people couldn't imagine how Witchers did what they did — the sort of damage that they caused and the terror they brought upon the lands around them — with emotions, and feelings, and thoughts of their own.

They couldn't imagine that a monster like that could love.

Yet that's exactly what they did.

Witchers we're created to protect the ones they cared for, to defend the people of their villages, to slay the monsters that couldn't be reasoned with.

If Witcher's had nothing to protect — then why would they fight?

Kryl discovered that Witchers did, in fact, have feelings a long time ago. Her mother had always told her that they were heartless creatures, incapable of true kindness and care. She said that a Witcher could never be a father. Or, not a good one, at least.

But Kryl liked to think that her mother's opinion on the creatures of the North had changed the day she died. Because in her last seconds, she watched a Witcher child save her own daughter.

And Kryl watched her mother die, as she herself was dragged from the flames.

The Keep had become her home that day, with Geralt's arm still tightly around her when they'd reached the wooden gates, which had been in slightly better condition back then — considering that it'd just been ravaged and destroyed by power hungry, jealous humans.

Vesemir had not taken to her straight away, as expected, but he kept her fed and treated her like a human being, which was more than the other Witchers ( the ones her age ) did.

She became the rut of them all, the punching bag — treated like a Witcher when she couldn't heal like one — treated like a boy when she didn't have her blood.

Through that time, Geralt continued to be her guardian — protecting her against the boys who decided it would be fun to pick on her just because they knew she couldn't fight back.

What a shock it was for them when he defended her.

As the years passed, it got better. They began to like her humour and her crows. But then again, when you were practically siblings with Vesemir's favourite student — you got a little respect.