Chapter 64

Ines was exhausted. Every step she took over the cobbled street was a torture. Her legs were aching, her shoulder was sprained, and her throat was so sore she could barely swallow. Her whole body was in pain. Matthew didn't look any better. Whenever she asked him how he was, he had insisted he was okay, but she knew him all too well. He was as much tired and disappointed as her.

They wearily walked along the city wall without talking much. They were too tired for that. They trod on, dragging their feet over the trampled snow, and were eventually met with the main gates of the city.

'Shouldn't we—' she said but he cut her off.

'We don't have time for that. Besides, they are busy elsewhere. They won't even see us.'

And he wasn't wrong. The enemy had been defeated and the wall was deemed once again safe, but the city hadn't returned to its original state yet. Its people hadn't overcome the shock from the siege and in their gaze, Ines could still see their terror.

Some were aimlessly running about holding their most valuable possessions in their arms. Others had given up their homes and had collapsed on the side of the road, weeping loudly over their cruel fate. Ines' heart broke when she heard their lament, the saddest song to listen to. How many of them had lost a husband that day? A son or a friend?

Matthew sensed her discomfort and gently touched her elbow. He gave her a sad smile as consolation and guided her towards the palace. That time they would make sure the king listened to them very carefully.

When the sun was already vanishing behind the mountains, they reached the castle's wide courtyard where trees and rare flowers had been planted. The moment they set foot on the beautiful gardens, though, a king's guard came up to them.

'Follow me,' he ordered in an unyielding tone.

'If you say so,' Ines murmured and did as she was told.

. . . . .

'You seemed to know we would be attacked,' the king said once they entered his study.

His stance was relaxed but his eyes were blazing with determination. He signaled the guards to leave, and they nodded. After they had exited the room and shut the door behind them, Ines and Matthew approached the king's desk. It was filled with maps and documents and every sort of book containing information about magic.

'We were informed that we would be attacked during the full moon, not tonight. We were taken by surprise,' Ines confessed honestly.

'This is your chance to explain yourselves. Convince me why I should not put you in a cell right here and now.'

Ines and Matthew looked at each other in nervousness.

'We went on a mission with our corps, the bats,' Ines explained. 'We uncovered a network of weapon trade. The case was closed, but we knew there was more to this than meets the eye. We decided to continue the search, even in secret. We learned that the weapons contain black magic. When used they bound a human and turn them into soulless beings.'

'That kind of humans attacked the city's walls just earlier,' Matthew added. 'If the magic completely overtakes their mind, well, they are unsavable. Those weapons only bring destruction. We have already seen them lay waste to whole villages. Our city might...we can't let that happen.'

The king stood with his hands clasped behind his back and studied them for a bit before he spoke again. 'Who fabricated them?'

'A powerful elf in the east,' Ines said. 'There used to be a kingdom there. He made sure it does not exist anymore.'

'So, the elves have been planning to wipe us out all along!' he slammed his palm on the desk.

'No! They are not involved in this. In any way. They are threatened as we are. They are on our side. We wouldn't be telling you these if we weren't certain.'

'I need proof!' the king's shrill shout made her flinch in surprise. 'I can't just nullify centuries of hostility between us. I do not trust them.'

She wanted to tell him that there were bigger issues than caring for their mutual misgivings, that they had to get past their distrust and save their people. How could they save a life pointing fingers? They needed to step into a new day, walk out of the fire and into a better tomorrow where their past wouldn't define the present. Blame couldn't be the truth they were preaching anymore because no one would ever win when their goal was to just settle the score.

She didn't voice her thoughts. She only remained staring at the king with a blank expression on her face.

'Until you bring me evidence, you are not going anywhere. You are to remain within the city walls and will be under my watch. If you attempt to escape...don't. I will know,' the king warned them and called for the guards standing outside the study. Once they entered, he said pointing a finger at them, 'Follow them wherever they go. They cannot leave the city.'

'Yes, my lord,' a soldier said in a respectful manner.

'You have one day to prove me the elves are not behind all this,' the king turned to them. 'After that, I will lead our army against them.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Hello again my dear companions! I missed youuuuuu (tell me you missed me too!). I'd love to hear your sweet voices in the comments <3 If you're too shy, then leave a star to let me know you're still here <3

Phrase of chapter: fortuna vitrea est: tum cum splendet frangitur / fortune is like glass—the brighter the glitter, the more easily broken - Publilius