"You need a hair cut," Jacob muttered to Kiara as he reached over and took her plate, tucking into the half eaten food without any question. She wasn't going to eat it, and he wasn't about to let one of Esme's classic sandwiches go to waste. "It's getting too shaggy when you shift. It's why Sam found it easier to nick you."

Kiara rolled her eyes, but a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. Jacob always knew how to make her feel better, even in the midst of all the chaos.

"I'll keep that in mind," she said, reaching up to run her fingers through her hair. It was getting a little too long, she had to admit. Maybe a trim was in order.

"I've done my share of cuts in the day," a new voice said, Kiara tensing a little as she realised that she had no excuse to say no. "I'll do it, if you want."

At least she wasn't Rosalie, Kiara thought. Beverly Hale smiled at Kiara - although it didn't quite reach her eyes the way it usually did. While Kiara liked her girlfriend's sister, she knew that there was certainly an ulterior motive behind her offering to cut her hair. She knew Beverly well enough to know that she wasn't being nice for the sake of it - not when Kiara was still airing out her sister.

Kiara nodded, acknowledging the offer and Beverly smiled back.

"Let's go to the kitchen then. It's nice and bright in there."

The two women got up from their chairs, Kiara feeling slightly awkward as she followed Beverly out of the room. As they walked, a tense silence fell between them - the strained relationship between Rosalie and Kiara being the significant factor in it.

Kiara sat down and watched as Beverly set up shop quickly, pulling out scissors and a comb from one of the drawers. Kiara assumed this was something that had been changed once Bella came around - since she was well aware that vampires hair didn't grow, so they didn't need to cut it. Beverly began snipping away without saying a word until she finally couldn't take it anymore.

"We didn't even know it was even possible," she said softly, not waiting to Kiara to acknowledge her. "When we entered this new life, any dreams that we had of a white-picket fence and family died with our old life... then suddenly Bella is calling Rose and telling her she's pregnant. You can't imagine what that's like... the one thing I've always wanted - the one thing we has always wanted - and Edward can provide that to Bella."

Kiara listened without speaking as Beverly explained how she always wanted a child. She explains that once Bella said she wanted to keep the baby, her and Rosalie promised they'd do anything to help her do so. Kiara felt a swell of admiration towards Beverly as she spoke, realising just how much the woman was willing to go through for someone else's child. She knew now just why Rosalie respected and loved her sister so much - because despite all of the obstacles that were thrown at them, Beverly kept fighting for a future they wanted no matter what.

"And when it comes out with a craving for blood, and rips my family to shreds, will it have been worth it?" Kiara asked, the light tone of the conversation instantly being crushed.

Beverly's eyes narrowed and her hands stilled for a moment, before continuing to work on Kiara's hair. Kiara could almost feel her frustration vibing off her, and she was sure Jasper would feel it from miles away too.

"You're not the only one who worries about that," she said softly. "And you're right - we don't know what the baby will be capable of. But I do know that Bella is willing to do whatever it takes to keep that baby safe and Rosalie and I will be there to help her do it."

Kiara wasn't sure what to reply. She had just assumed that Beverly hadn't thought about the potential consequences of this, the chance that the... baby could become murderous. It had been more black and white in Kiara's eyes until that moment. Killer or not killer.