Chapter Nine

Elijah Asminioslykos

That girl, she could get me to do anything. And for her it is all, nothing. I would give her the world just to see her smile. She just asked me to break her and her pack out of the facility or prison as it is to them which means facing my father’s wrath of going against him. I should have said no, old me would have said no even if I loved her but ever since I became the wolf my priorities switched, and my fear of my father was outweighed by the fear of him hurting my mate.

“Can you at least stay here then so I have less people to take with me.” I plead with her. She narrows her eyes at me but sighs and nods my worry eases a little though curious why she didn’t fight me more on that one, but I count my blessings.

Before I head out, I call back as though I could command her, “Stay. Do. Not. Move. An. Inch.”

Then I shift and run. As I run my fear grows but I made her a promise, so I keep moving. Once I got within a half mile of the base I shifted back and thankfully I brought some clothes with me, and I walked back in with my normal scowl. I walk through the tunnels and find the prisoner’s cave. I got lucky and they are all in there. They are all pacing worried and stop and glare and scowl at me.

“Where is she.” The new boy asks growling strangely worried and protective of my mate. I almost glared back at him but remembered what Alcmene said.

I take a deep breath and answer, “She is safe far, far away from here. And I’m here to get you guys out as well.

I wait to see their reaction. “You’re a guard you keep us here and put us here why should we trust or believe you for all we now Alcmene was dead two hours ago.” Persephone speaks up stepping in front of everyone else.

“That’s fair I guess but you must consider that I’m a wolf and she’s my mate and she’s a phoenix. Her being dead would kill me literally and she’s a phoenix it’s impossible to kill her for good. I can talk to her telepathically, ask me something only she would know.” I counter, sounding calm for how I’m feeling now.

This time Matt steps up, “What is Persie’s tattoo?” He looks at me expectantly.

‘Mate, are you awake? I need you to answer a question, so they believe me. What is Persephone’s tattoo.’

‘Ironically, the symbol of Persephone, an apple.’

“She said the symbol of Persephone, an apple. Does that satisfy you? Now hurry, the guards will wake up soon.” I answer and they look at each other and seem to communicate before coming closer to me and Persephone speaks, “What do we need to do then?”

I sigh in relief and take out all of their implants before walking out of the cave room and motioning for them to follow and they all do.

I make sure they all get out doing a head count. Then I run to the front of the group and scout ahead, knocking out the guards I see before we make it to the entrance and outside. They all pause, staring in wonder and letting their eyes adjust to the new lighting.

“Hurry, run we won’t be alone for long.” I snap at them and just as I say that guards swarm in probably about a hundred. As much as I hate to admit it, maybe too much for me.

Just then the boy I recognize as the dragon, Matt, shifts into his large red and black dragon form about the size of a barn.

He opens his maw and releases a threatening roar almost making my ears bleed. Then when the guards continue coming at him and start firing their guns (that have no effect on his scales) he jumps on them, killing many and whips his tail around killing and severely injuring the rest except for one. He called for backup and shot the Matt dragon with something that made him shift, but when he shifted, he was naked and out. I shift into my wolf after making sure the others had run out west away from the facility and the girl Persephone carrying Matt with surprising strength for her size.

Then I face the back-up and run tearing throats and knock others down biting anything I can find.

But eventually the numbers overwhelm my wolf, and they grab me holding me down while they chain me and inject me with silver attempting to knock me out and carrying me back inside the cave system. Going through the last hours all I can feel is pride and accomplishment for saving my mate. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m happy, I’m terrified, but I got fulfill her wish, keep her safe and save some kids. To be honest there isn’t anything I would like to go back and change from the past few hours.

I close my eyes and relax, imagining my mate running through a forest in her wolf form far away from here joyful, carefree, and safe, or dancing in the rain and playing with her twins, Finally I imagine her smiling sitting on top of me and I grin and let the silver take me under still dreaming of Alcmene…