9

"I just can't believe those bastards tried to ambush you two like that," Karen huffed, wringing out a skirt that she'd washed

"I just can't believe those bastards tried to ambush you two like that," Karen huffed, wringing out a skirt that she'd washed. "Even with the law after every gang they can root out, they can't give it a rest."

"They feed off rivalry," Tilly commented. "In the pits of hell, O'Driscolls would fight over territory with Lucifer himself, I imagine."

The girls were finishing up laundry in the shade, while Mary Beth and I, done with our set of chores for the morning, reclined against the supply wagon, books in hand. But clean linens and romantic literature fell by the wayside, as they all seemed significantly more interested in my afternoon with Arthur yesterday.

"How'd you end up doing a job with Arthur, anyway?" Karen asked, though she failed to conceal the extent of her curiosity as simple small talk. "Thought you went down to Valentine yesterday to see if any honest work turned up since our last visit."

I shook my head. "Just wanted to get out of camp for a while. And I needed some clothes, some things for Alice. I didn't expect to run into Arthur at all. He was about to get into a fight at the saloon and he was outnumbered, so I stepped in. He invited me to ride with him to Emerald Ranch after that was taken care of."

Mary Beth laughed lightly. "Outnumbered, was he? You know, I remember this one time, before that horrible business in Blackwater, Tilly and I were on a ride with Arthur. He had some business in Armadillo, meanwhile we were scouting some folks to rob. We have this great routine, see, works best on stagecoaches but we've tweaked it to be a little more conspicuous in saloons and the like–" She paused. "Well, that's another story. I'm getting off topic, but Violet, remind me to tell you about that routine, it's really something."

She patted my arm insistently and I smiled at her tangent, promising that I surely wouldn't forget.

"So, like I was saying." She tucked a piece of stationary into the page she left off on and closed her book. "We agree to meet Arthur just outside of town when we've got our take. And how was he faring when we found him by the wagon, Tilly?"

Tilly moved a stray strand of hair out of her face, glancing over wryly. "Held up by about five bandits. Some gang that claimed to control the roads in and out of Armadillo."

"That's right. And you remember, Tilly, we immediately started asking ourselves, alright, should we go over there? Tweak our routine again, in a way that sends these men on their way and everyone gets out without a scratch?" Mary Beth chuckled. "Well, I tell you, Violet, we didn't even get a chance to do anything of the sort."

"The bandits turned tail?" I asked, angling myself toward her in interest.

"Oh, no, they were egging Arthur on, telling him to empty his pockets and hand over the whole wagon while he was at it, since he wasn't complying with their 'fair and just' rule of a ten-dollar traveling fee."