4

"Hey, everybody! Sean's back!"

A man that I'd never seen was riding in on the back of Javier's horse, tailed by Charles. He soaked up the resounding cheers and attention with a broad grin, raising his arms victoriously when he got down from the horse.

"See that?" Dutch's booming voice chimed in. "That boy right there is proof that things are looking up. It is good to have you back, son."

"I know my absence must've been hard on all of ya, Dutch, but no need to worry. I'm not going anywhere now."

"I surely hope not. Go, get yourself a drink."

I hugged the book I'd borrowed from Mary Beth to my chest, watching from afar as everyone made their way to the campfire and poker table. This was a reunion for a member they'd dearly missed, the same Sean I'd heard had been captured in Blackwater.  I didn't see the point in including myself, trying for an awkward introduction when the man clearly just wanted to celebrate–oh, and get real cozy with Karen apparently.

I found a quiet spot against a supply wagon near the edge of the camp and reopened my book. The sounds of Javier's guitar and singalongs broke my concentration ever so often.

There were more than a few nights like that with Jake and Sadie, and with Jake and my parents when we were still a proper family. Sitting by the fire on cold nights, exchanging stories that were usually meant to poke harmless fun at one of us, singing songs and pausing to laugh when someone butchered the words.

I closed my book, no longer able to concentrate on love stories.

"My lady."

I looked up. Arthur was standing over me with his hands on his belt, head cocked.

"Hi." I hated how his presence lately seemed to put me on high alert, every sense attuned to his movements and words. "When did you get back?"

"Just now. Had to split from Javier, Sean and Charles, but I got here okay. You gonna join the party?"

"I don't think so." I traced the illustration on the book cover. "I don't know Sean. I mean, I think it's wonderful that you managed to save him, but I won't intrude on his celebration."

Arthur nodded a little and pulled up a crate near me so he could sit down. He rested his elbows on his knees and leaned toward me.

"Has anyone around here been unwelcoming? Say something inappropriate? Been just plain rude? Aside from Micah, because I know he certainly has."

"No..." I frowned. "Why?"

"I'm just trying to understand what could make you still believe you're an intruder. Maybe you need to see what we do to real intruders. I warn you, it ain't pretty, but you're stubborn enough that it may be necessary."

"You're kind people," I said softly. "And I never would've believed I'd say such a thing about outlaws, but it's what I've seen. You're just not...my people. Please understand, I don't say that to offend. I...my people are gone. I couldn't replace them."