"Interesting," I squeak when I finally get my body to function properly again.

When we get to the rink we walk inside to find Barb sitting on the bench covering her face while Josh paces back and forth. "Everything ok?" I ask them gently. Ryder behind me is tense and I know it is because he is not good with emotions, his or others.

"Don't worry sweetie, just a little leak."

Josh lets out a bitter laugh and points to the soaking wet floor. "Just a little. I know this is the most important month of the year for both of you but we may have to close for a little bit. Just until we can get the funds together to get this all fixed. I am going to go down to the bank tomorrow and see if I can get a loan. But don't you kids worry I will try to get it back open as quickly as possible."

"Josh don't worry about us seriously we will be fine. Is there anything we can do?"

"God no you two are so sweet but we have this under control. Thank you." Barb tries to force a smile but I can tell she is on the verge of tears.

"Honey, let's go in the office and let these two practice. Francesca has a competition this weekend and Ryder is in playoff season; they need all the practice they can get."

Josh takes his wife's hand and they both sadly walk to the office. Ryder and I just stand there stunned. The mood has changed so quickly and the air is so thick it feels like it is hard to breath. "This sucks," I say quietly as we both sit to put our skates on.

"I feel so fucking bad. They're the nicest people and I feel like they can never catch a break."

We both sigh as we get on the ice. Josh and Barb were nice enough to let us have extra time this week since we are on spring break so our normal hour of ice time is two hours today. We both are quick to bury ourselves into practicing to numb the sadness. Normally during practice during water breaks we will check in with each other, maybe talk or tease each other but today is two hours of hard skating and dead silence. It is almost eerie how quiet it is. My music is just loud enough I can hear it over our skating and heavy breathing and there is a steady drip of water that I can see is slowly driving Ryder mad. I am not sure if it is the noise itself or the situation that has him so livid but as time winds down he is pushing himself harder than I have ever seen.

"Ry," I interrupt when our two hours is well over and Ryder is breathing so heavy he sounds like he's about to collapse.

He stops short and steps off the ice pacing in front of me in his skates. "I hate this Beck. I hate feeling helpless to two people who have given me so much." He pulls his hat off and aggressively readjusts it on his head.

"Me too. I can't stop feeling guilty about taking the money back because we had to share time."

"I didn't take it back," Ryder says softly. The realization that I took it and he didn't hits both of us at the exact same moment.

I feel something in me shatter instantly. I was so selfish for taking the money. Ryder didn't take it back, so why did I? Josh and Barb already are so good to me and I took advantage. Ryder pulls me into his arms as I let out a choked sob. "Why did I take it. I didn't need it. I just, I thought about the possibility of new skates and a new costume, for once fitting in, and I was so selfish."

"Shh, no you aren't Francesca." Ryder holds me tightly as I cry into his shirt. "Please don't cry."

"They needed the money Ryder and I took it. I took it and now look." For someone who is bad with emotions and never knows the right words to say, in this very moment Carson Ryder is my superhero saying all the right words to piece me back together.