disclaimer ; zero . kellan

I do not own Kol, nor his family, nor the shows he appears on, but I did create Kellan, her storyline as well as her family dynamic. All scenes not from TVD belong to me and my insanity of being driven so far in love with Kol that I had to make a story about it - Mel

zero . kellan

"Kellan. Kellan." Yanking out an earbud of the teenager, Mrs. Briethupt nodded towards the door. "Visitors." She retreated out to the back porch, the June weather faring well in Mystic Falls; a town tucked behind a veil of blood soaked history in Virginia.

Kellan pushed her physics book away, the corner bumping her coffee mug. Dropping her headphones, she left them there on the counter with her phone. Absently she pushed at her dark hair, her thought process still thrown.

It'd been a month, but still nothing felt right.

Kellan opened the front door, not surprised by who she found.

Caroline Forbes and Elena Gilbert. Surprise, surprise.

Caroline had a betrayed look on her face, holding a piece of folded paper up in the air. "What in the holy hell is this, Kel?"

Kellan's eyes flickered between them, the blue not covered by her usual contacts. She hardly bothered with them, seeing as she rarely left the house anymore.

Elena took the paper from her blonde friend, "Dear Coach, I'm sorry but I have to resign my position as captain as well as my spot on the team due to me no longer continuing with the sport." She gave Kellan a harsh stare, "Are you kidding, Kel?"

"No, I'm not," Kellan said in an emotionless voice. She wasn't sure she had any left. "And I recommended for you to be captain, Car, so, congrats-"

Caroline grabbed the door as Kellan tried to shut herself inside. "Oh, no sweetheart. As much as I hate you being better than me, I don't want a pity captainship."

"Not to mention we need you. You're the first freshman captain-"

"I was," Kellan cut Elena off. "Freshman year is over - you can put together a new team. You've got all summer before sideline and then you'll go to competitive season. I'll come watch you win state championships."

"We need you to win state, Kellan," Caroline retorted. "You're the only flyer that can actually do anything."

"You'll be fine without me."

"No, Kel. You need to cut the act," The blonde snapped, both she and Elena in cheer attire, fresh from the first summer practice where they'd found their best cheerleader had quit.

Kellan raised an eyebrow, "The act?"

"You've had your time to grieve. Quit it and tell Coach you're coming back. She'll let you be captain again." Elena said, "It's time to come back to reality."

"Reality?" Kellan narrowed her eyes, "Reality, Elena, is that my father is dead. Don't tell me I can just get over it. You think you know what heartbreak is. Boyfriends that you don't actually like don't count. Losing Homecoming doesn't come close."

Both Caroline and Elena tried to speak, but Kellan didn't give them the chance.

"So, excuse me if I don't want to cheer and pretend that I'm okay." Kellan said, "I thought you two of all people would understand that but apparently I was wrong. So don't try to tell me what to do. Lose someone as close to you as parents, then tell me how long it takes to get over it."

And when Kellan shut the door, it took her two years and Elena's dead parents for them to talk again.

Maybe it would've been better if they hadn't.

|||||

Kellan ran a hand over the new clothes in her closet, all fresh and ready for senior year. Her nails were painted navy and she wished she could be done with high school already.

Freshman year was her prime before it all went to Hell. She curled into herself and hadn't quite come out yet.

She wasn't sure she wanted to.

Kellan just wanted to get out of this bizarre town and go somewhere no one knew her.

The doorbell chimed through the house, Kellan the only one inside since her mom was stuck at a conference.

Kellan tied her hair up into a high ponytail, the heat ridiculous. In shorts and a fluttery white top, she opened the door. She stilled, her eyes scanning over the figure on her porch. "Not recruiting for the squad, are you?"

Caroline was surprised she even got a bitter sentence. She mainly expected to get a door slammed in her face. "No, it's not cheer related."

Kellan had heard Caroline's level of bitch had gone down over junior year, but she wasn't quite up for giving her a free pass.

Junior year was weird to say the least, but she never cared enough to ask.

"Then what is it, Caroline?"

Caroline hesitated, handing Kellan a small rectangle. "I, uh, I was hoping you'd want to come to a party. First one to kick off senior year in a couple weeks."

"I'm not really the partying type." Kellan held onto the invitation but didn't look over it. "I don't even go to the bonfires."

"I noticed. They're more fun as upperclassmen." Caroline hadn't spoken this much to her for years and she was surprised the door was even still open. "You should come this year."

"I don't think so." Kellan half glanced to the envelope, "I have a lot of college stuff that's keeping me busy."

"It's Elena's eighteenth. I think she'd like to see you there."

Kellan didn't look so sure. "I don't know if that's a true fact."

"What if I want you there?"

"It's Elena's party. Don't let me ruin it." Kellan gave the envelope back to Caroline, leaning on the open frame of the door. "But thanks for inviting me."

"Damn it, Kel! Two years. Two years! I miss you!" Caroline said, taking in a deep breath before grabbing Kellan's shoulders. She focused her eyes on Kellan's, the pupils dilating as she spoke. "You're going to come to Elena's party and try to get back into your old life."

Kellan pulled back, pushing Caroline off. "What the hell, Car? Take a hint when I say you can't tell me what to do."

Caroline's eyes were wide as Kellan retreated behind the line she couldn't cross unless invited. "Kelly-"

"Shove it up your ass, Caroline Forbes."

The vampire stood in her spot, the Briethupt door slamming in her face. "Oh, my god." She whispered, "She resisted. How did she resist compulsion?"