Home (3rd person pov)

They tapped the floor of the carriage nervously, books pressed tight against their chest.

"So where did ya fly in from?" The carriage driver called in through the window

"Oh, uh, all over the place. Just recently came home."

"Sounds interestin', heard all bout' those hexgate expeditions, sounded real incredible."

"Yeah, it is."

They came to a sharp stop, flinging them out of their seat ever so slightly.
"Think this is yer stop!"

They peered out the door, finding a cream brick building in front of them, tucked away between extravagant marble towers. They stepped out, admiring how the light bounced against each well-polished stone.

The driver took a good leap off their seat, rounding off to the rear end of the carriage and pulling out their luggage.

"Wowza! What's in 'ere, rocks?"

"Of sorts." They said half-mindedly, taking long strides into the front of the building.

The lobby, if you could even call it that, was quaint. The walls were lined with long shelves, each one filled with books coated in a thick layer of dust. The ceiling was low and worn leather chairs were dotted here and there. There was a door in the farthest corner and a set of stairs in the corner next to it.

The burly carriage driver ducked in behind them, one case on her shoulder, one held in her armpit and two in her hand.
"Where should I put these?"

"Top floor." They said as they turned to study the spines of the books.

The woman sighed and puffed and chugged awkwardly towards the stairs, ducking their head in a crude effort to dodge the low hanging beams.

The spines of the books were worn but lined with gold, the words intricately drawn by hand. They ran a finger over the creases, rubbing the dust between their thumb and their forefinger.

They nodded to themselves in approval or acknowledgement before continuing up the stairs. It was three flights before they caught up to the woman who was just placing the luggage down in front of the door.

They handed the woman their payment who then shook it in her hands, nodding happily at the added weight and practically skipping off, the fatigue was magically gone.
They watched her with a sense of pleasure and headed towards the door, pulling out a golden key. Nothing special, chipped and scratched. The door clicked and they entered.

The apartment was similar to the 'lobby'. Small and dusty. A large round window was opposite the front door, a charming kitchen to the right and shelves to the left, a ladder built into where one would have been, a ladder that led up to a little loft area where their head would only just miss the ceiling.

They smiled to themselves, hands-on-hips with a determined glow in their eyes that challenged that of the sun.

"Home at last."