Prologue

KURAMA, THE WITNESS of ten thousand summers, finds themself at a loss. They have been called many things by many beings -- a cataclysm, a source of power, and even a divine deity -- but never has anything capable of complex thought considered them to be useless...and yet, as Naruto Uzumaki weeps into an empty sky, they can't seem to think of any way to help.

And how awful the sound of Naruto's cries are, grating coarsely against Kurama's ears. They are one with their host now, and so they feel every shred of agony that surges through his body -- the way his fingers curl into the barren earth, the way his form trembles with exhaustion, the way his mind whirls in distress, it's all so profoundly real that it nearly brings Kurama to tears.

How horrible it is to be mortal. Too many emotions for too tiny an existence. Kurama, ancient and unconquerable, is nearly brought to tears. They can't cry now, however, not when Naruto needs an ally with a clear head. Instead, they ponder and ponder and try not to focus on how completely hopeless the situation is. So, as Naruto mourns his fallen comrades, Kurama thinks, and as Naruto trudges through the wasteland that was once the world, Kurama still thinks, and as Naruto slowly loses hope of finding a single living being wandering the empty plains, Kurama continues to think.

It's hard to keep thinking when they start to feel the tendrils of rage and resentment that bubble up inside of Naruto, emotions aimed specifically at Kurama, because Kurama's powers have made him just as immortal as any chakra beast. It's even harder to think when Naruto finally, finally lets all of the resentment drain away, admitting quietly that he just wants this all to end, and his sorrow at not being able to end it himself.

Naruto's sorrow, however, is the first clue. Naruto was certainly not always happy, but his willpower was something Kurama had always admired. For him to give up mere hours after defeat is absolutely out of character, even if the likelihood of a triumphant return is abysmal. The next clue is the earth, parched desert-dry, stubbornly choking out every tendril of life in its clutches. No humans, no bugs, not even the corpse of a plant -- from Kurama's calculations, the final battle had dragged Naruto all the way to the Land of Fire, so for there to be no vegetation at all is impossible.

It's Naruto's shuddering breath that finally sparks recognition in Kurama's brain. What emerges is a faint memory, murky from being dragged through the fabric of space and time, but it is enough for Kurama to immediately roar, "Naruto, cover your mouth and nose!"

Naruto acts on instinct, promptly tearing a strip of cloth off the sleeve of his shirt and covering the bottom portion of his face. "Kurama?" he asks, uncertain. The confusion is justified considering there is no substance that can harm him.

"The air is not suitable for you to breathe," Kurama explains, desperately trying to dredge up more details of their memory. "Take as few breaths as you can."

They almost feel Naruto's tired smile of reassurance as he assures, "Poison doesn't work on me anymore, remember? Honestly, I've always had a good tolerance for it, even before Pervy Sage messed with the seal." His thin pretense of stability wavers at the mention of his late mentor, but Kurama did not have the time to care about that.

"You cannot die but chemicals can still affect you, and no amount of tolerance can withstand several hours of inhaling tainted air with no protection. Cover your mouth and nose while I think of something."

Naruto, small and shaky, says, "I can help."

"No," Kurama denies immediately, "your cognitive abilities have already been compromised. Take care of your breathing, I am perfectly capable of thinking of a solution to this problem on my own."

Ignoring any protests Naruto may have had, Kurama tugs harder and harder on their memory, willing it to dislodge and reveal to them its secrets. They must work quickly, or else Naruto's condition will continue to worsen until he's completely hysterical. Eventually, the effects might even creep into Naruto's abstract thought and infect Kurama, which would mean they're both screwed. However, surfacing such a far-off memory is no easy feat -- it requires a single-minded dedication, a sinking of (metaphorical) claws, and a considerable amount of time. Finally, after what feels like hours but absolutely could have been seconds, Kurama remembers.