The familiar smell of home baked goods wafted over to me as I neared the front door and I couldn’t stop the smile that grew. As always the door was open, no matter how many times I told her to keep it locked, and I walked inside dropping my bag to the ground just inside the doorway. Nothing had changed. Mom had kept everything just the way it was when I left and I loved how everything felt familiar. It was so good to be home!

“Katrina is that you?” I heard my mom call from the kitchen. “I’m just taking out the last batch of cookies for you”

I hobbled further inside towards the kitchen and leaned in the doorway watching my mom bend down to pull out the tray of cookies she was talking about. She looked as beautiful and wise as the day I left for the air force. Of course she had a few more wrinkles and was a little plumper around the waist but to me my mom would always be the most beautiful woman in the world.

“I’m not Katrina... but I wouldn’t mind some of your famous cookies” I said with a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth. My mom gasped and spun around quickly holding her floral oven mitts to her mouth as her eyes grew to the size of my hands. I could see the recognition in her eyes (which were filling up with tears) but she seemed a little too shocked to say anything. “Hi mom”

“Ray!!! Oh my God my little Rayray is home!” she shrieked as she ran across the kitchen and enveloped me as best as she could in an embrace only a mother can give. “What happened to you?! When did you come back? How did you get here? Why didn’t you tell me you were back? How long are you staying for-“

I cut her rambling question with my burst of laughter and I squeezed her tightly back. “It’s a long story. A few weeks ago. I was shipped back. You didn’t need to see in hospital and at least a year according to the doctors”

Suddenly my mom smacked my arm and gave me a stern look, “And why did you think it was best that you kept this whole injury away from me? I am your mother! I am supposed to know these things!”

I knew she was only half ‘angry’ so I let myself chuckle at her angry Chihuahua face. If she had actually been seriously angry there was no way I would have laughed. In general, a child who respects their parent would be somewhat transported back to their childhood days when their mother got angry at them, especially when they use their full name. There was no way I was would step out of line if my mother had actually been angry.

“Because I was heavily sedated anyway mom, don’t worry about it. You’re the first person besides the doctors and nurses who’ve I’ve seen. See? You’re still important!” She gave me one last stern look before smiling.

“Fine. But if this ever happens again, though hopefully not, you better tell me. I don’t care how big and tall you get you are still my baby and I will slap you one on the side of the head if need be”

I laughed and shook my head at her motherly tendencies, “Yes, mom”

She beamed and I let her help me sit down at the dinner table while she prodded about every aspect of my life, not that there was anything else besides the Air Force. When I told her how I got injured and how I was shipped back she ended up crying and I immediately thought how much of a bad idea it was to tell her everything about it.

“My poor little boy” she sobbed.

“I’m not a little boy anymore mom. I’m fine. Just need a few months to heal and then a few more months of physio and I’ll be back at the base like nothing happened” I told her, leaving out the part about the test I’d have to go through deciding whether or not I was physically able to return.

She sniffed the last of her tears and fanned her face lightly. “You will always be my little boy, Rayray. Now, get yourself settled in. Have a rest if you need it and I’ll have dinner ready soon. I’ll make your favourite!”