vii. like son, like father

ابدأ من البداية

"Confringo!" James yelled a few meters away from Callie and the basilisk. But just like any of their spells, it didn't work on the monster, confusing them. But they have to run before it kills them.

"Why isn't it affected by any spells?!" James yelled, slightly irritated that they can't seem to beat the monster.

"Because it's not!" Callie yelled back in the distance, casting another spell onto the basilisk to let James run away. But in turn, she became the one the monster was chasing. Yet it's not too long when Sirius cast another spell to distract it from chasing her.

"The only way to kill it is to stab it with the sword!" Callie added.

Sirius slipped earning another curse because of the wet floor but Peter immediately cast a spell to get its attention which he was successful. Remus seconded the attack and it chased him instead.

"The hat fell off my hands!" yelled Remus as he attacked the monster again. "I forgot where it slipped off— Bombarda maxima!"

"I'll look for it!" yelled James and did not wait for anyone's response — not that he would hear them. He ran around the place to look for the sorting hat whilst the rest distract the monster.

Callie slipped too and the basilisk almost laid its mouth on her head when Peter cast a spell and distracted it. The monster then chased him as he ran away but not until Remus yelled another spell.

Sirius helped Callie stand up. Both of them were panting and she could see the visible bruises on his face. She felt sorry all of a sudden, bringing them into this mess. But Callie needed their help or else she would fail. She would waste her second chance and that thing is something she could not afford.

"Remind me to apologise and heal your wounds after this," she said. That is if they managed to keep themselves alive.

Sirius chuckles lightly and ruffles her hair. "There's nothing to apologise for. We're all doing this for the sake of everyone. If there's anything we need to remind you of, that's how grateful we are you're helping us to live a better life."

Callie smiled at that casual but sweet short speech of Sirius Black.

Sirius ran to help Remus and Callie followed. James still couldn't find the hat around. He too once slipped but it didn't get in the way. Some of the spells his friends were throwing almost shook the ground that he had to hold onto the statues or trip.

And finally, after the search, he found the hat floating above the water in between the snake statues. But the sword isn't yet present anywhere.

"I found it!" James yelled even if he's not sure if they would hear it.

He then ran back towards them pointing his wand onto the basilisk. When he got near to it, he cast a spell, drawing its attention and the four's too.

"The sword?" Callie asked.

"Not yet here!" replied James.

Callie could only tsk and cast another spell. Their routine continued for a while; casting spells to get the basilisk's attention until the sword showed itself up. The five of them were growing tired, both their limbs and their heads.

But as James ran towards the gigantic face statue, the hat slipped off his hand and fell to the ground. Peter saw what happened and immediately cast a spell. He got its attention and he ran away. Fortunately for him, Remus cast a spell too and the monster chased him.

James immediately ran back for the hat. And to his surprise gold and red handle of a sword peaks out of the hat. There are no questions needed to be asked, James already knew it was the sword of Gryffindor.

"The sword's here! Bring the monster to me!" he yelled, earning a nod from everyone.

Sirius cast a spell and took the monster's attention. He ran in James' direction as the man with the sword climbed up the statue.

Callie helped Sirius. When it's about to get him, she would cast a spell to draw its attention and Sirius would do the same. They kept doing it until they reached the face statue.

James was standing on top of its head, the sword in his right hand and the wand at the left. He got its attention by casting a spell. The basilisk let out an angry screech and looked at its attacker.

When it saw James, it rose, slowly just like what it did to Sirius. The basilisk made sure that its head was on the same level as James. And that was a mistake.

Everything happened fast. James let go of his wand to grasp the sword with both of his hands. He jumped onto the basilisk and stabbed it on its head right in between its eyes.

The monster cried as the sword pierced its skin. It looked like a giant worm on the brink of its death.

James jumped off it and landed on the wet ground. Sirius immediately ran to attend to him and protect against the monster in case it attack them. But it didn't.

It continued to cry as it fell, dying.

Callie just stood there, watching the scene. For a moment, she saw Harry when James killed the basilisk. Something inside her swelled up. It was fluttering, it made the butterflies in her heart fly around. Like son, like father.

Her eyes then landed on the lifeless monster laying a few feet away from them. With a smile on her face, she walked towards it and the boys just watched her. Sirius and James were on the floor, Remus and Peter were panting just a few feet behind her.

Callie pulled out the sword and then knelt down to be on the same level as the basilisk. She took two of its fangs.

She sighed and sat on the wet floor, not minding their situation. "Now, we have something against him," she said with a smile, staring at the three weapons they have on the floor.