Chapter 5

Knox watched Angela cautiously. She looked ready to bolt. To jump out the window if necessary. Her pale eyes were wide and...worried. He'd known they had a lot to talk about but when she'd told her leader she was staying he'd assumed everything would work itself out. "Why won't you give us a chance?"

"If we mate and you regret it, you'd resent me for the rest of our lives. Considering we're pretty much immortal..." She trailed off because she didn't need to finish.

She was right. If they mated and he later regretted it, they'd be stuck with each other for a damn long time.

Angela looked up at him. "You...you need to clean up. The scent of your blood..." She took another step back. For the first time he realized her eyes were slightly dilated. Even though she'd fed from him, he'd forgotten that the scent of his blood would still affect her. In another lifetime he would have hated that but now...the knowledge turned him on.

He knew the blood and grime covering him wasn't what was bothering her. Maybe he'd come on too strong with the whole mating thing but he wasn't letting her go again. If he had to play dirty, he'd do it. He wanted to stay and finish their conversation, but instead nodded tightly. "Give me a few minutes. I'll wash this off." And by the time the blood had swirled down the drain, he'd be healed. Unlike most of his pack, he healed at lightning speed. One of the many reasons he was Alpha.

After his shower, she wouldn't be able to put this off any longer. He stalked toward the bathroom but didn't close the door behind him just in case she decided to join him. After stepping into the wide stone enclosure, he flipped the water to hot. It didn't matter how much it heated up; it would be no match for the raging inferno inside him.

As the strong jets of water rolled down his body he saw he was already healed everywhere. He was slightly weaker than normal, but compared to the strongest wolf of his pack, he could still take better care of himself and Angela if necessary.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a sigh and then movement. It was slight but combined with that familiar fresh spring rain scent, he knew it was Angela.

When he turned around he found her standing at the opening of the shower enclosure - naked - with her arms wrapped around her chest.

Not that it mattered. Everything about her he'd memorized long ago.

He wanted to pull her hands away so he could see all of her. Those light brown nipples he'd teased with his tongue so many times... Instinctively he took a step toward her but she held up a hand. When she did, she gave him a perfect shot of one of her breasts. He couldn't help the low growl that built in his throat. She was definitely trying to kill him. What they'd shared earlier had just been an appetizer. A tease. He needed to feel all of her and not just with his tongue.

"Damn it, Knox. Let me check on you first...I can't believe you're already healed." Her voice held a touch of awe.

As she looked him over with a clinical eye he wasn't sure if he should be insulted. He was ready to pounce and she was staring at him like he was a specimen under a microscope. Until her gaze landed on his erection.

Then her cheeks flushed and she immediately raised her head. "How can you be so sure you want to mate with me? We've been separated a long time, Knox." Instead of letting him answer, she quickly continued. "And how do you know you still want me? And what if your pack doesn't accept me? I'm a vampire. I know your pack is giving Natalia shelter but you're an Alpha. Mating with me is different than if you were a regular wolf. There are just too many reasons this would never work. I can't go back to my coven and I want to stay with you so maybe we can just..." She trailed off so he jumped in.