Chapter 3

Angela glanced at the antique wall pendulum clock in Knox's room and silently seethed as she saw the time. He'd left her alone almost twelve hours ago. She'd snooped through all his stuff - not that she'd found anything interesting - and dozed for a few hours. At least when she'd been looking through his stuff she'd been able to distract herself from Natalia's betrayal. Everything Angela had done tonight had been a complete waste of time. Now she was stuck under Knox's roof awaiting whatever punishment he planned to dole out and she had one less friend. It stung more than she'd admit that her friend hadn't trusted her enough to confide in her. Had Natalia really believed she'd just let her disappearance go? Angela didn't have many friends and she'd always thought herself lucky to count Natalia as one. In immortal terms ten years wasn't a particularly long time span but keeping a relationship that long had been a big deal to Angela. Obviously Natalia hadn't viewed things the same. Steeling herself against those thoughts, Angela shoved all her reflections aside and locked them up tight. Right now she needed to focus on escaping, not worry about anything else.

Once the sun had fallen she'd opened the heavy chocolate colored drapes and was now bathed in moonlight. The daylight didn't harm her but like most of her kind she preferred the night.

Unable to sit still, she stalked around the room. Each step she took, her boots sank into the thick throw rug that covered almost half the floor. With no way to contact anyone and nothing to do, she was bored and annoyed and really hungry. Her fangs ached as she simply thought about feeding. She hadn't fed in almost a week but she hadn't planned to be trapped here, either. If she'd fed before her normally scheduled time, her tribe leader would have wondered why, so she'd held off. Besides, she thought she'd just get in here, get out then have plenty of time to make it back home. She'd learned to control her bloodlust long ago but instinct was still instinct. She needed food.

Sighing, she eyed the giant California king-size bed in the middle of the room and tried to take her mind off her hunger. An antique chest probably older than her sat at the foot of the bed and the rest of his furniture was just as old, though it was all in pristine shape. The dark wood on the dresser, armoire and nightstands were all polished and shiny. At least the room only smelled like him. Woodsy, earthy, all Knox and no one else. With her heightened senses she'd know if another female shared the room with him. Not that she should care. He could be sleeping with half his pack and it wouldn't be any of her business. Though the mere thought of him with another woman punched a giant hole in her chest.

As she sat down on the chest and tried to pick the lock again, the door handle wriggled then it flew open. Knox stood in the entryway with a scowl on his handsome face. "Miss me?" He looked stressed and tired and that only infuriated her. He had no right to look that way when she'd been cooped up like a prisoner.

She looked around for something to throw at him but came up empty so she stood and faced him warily. "Is this part of my torture? Leaving me here to die of boredom?"

Something akin to guilt flashed in his eyes. "I didn't plan to be gone so long. I thought about sending someone to check on you but wasn't sure if you'd attack them."

"Smart man," she murmured.

He stared at her for a long moment with those near black penetrating eyes. It was almost as if he could see right through her. She hated the urge she had to duck her head just to avoid the power of that gaze. Knox was obviously Alpha for a reason.

Finally he took a few more steps into the room and the air popped with something...sexual. Why was he looking at her as if he'd like to ravish her? They were natural born enemies. "Are you hungry?" His voice lowered as he spoke.

Starving. Instead of telling him, she shrugged. "I'm fine."

His gaze sharpened and he covered the distance between them lightning fast. Before she realized what he meant to do, he pulled the collar of his shirt away and bared his neck to her. "If you need to feed, take from me."