Sleepless Eve

Maya laid facing away from Riley her eyes wide open. As usual she couldn't sleep for fear that someone else would exit her life just as her father did. She got up and tiptoed to the kitchen as to not wake anyone up, they aren't all deep sleepers like Riley and her dad. Maya sits down at the large bay window behind the living area and stares outside as she did in the one of the few memories she has of her Dad.

~Flashback~

A young girl sat on her Dad's knee at a bay window as they both searched the city sky for Santa Claus. The girls father would occasionally point to something in the sky that appeared to be moving but it was usually just the reflection on the window. A gust of air hit the window causing it to open and blast in the girls face and she instinctively grasped onto her Dad for security as he closed the window. He picked her up thinking she was asleep when she spoke up, "You'll never leave right Daddy?" She asked quietly and her dad instantly answer, "Of course not Princess, I'd miss you and your mother too much.." "Promise?" She asked, looking up and holding out her pinky, smiling her took her pinky in his own, "Promise."

~Flashback over~

A single tear fell down Maya's face and all she could think was that her father only ever lied to her. He had promised to never leave..because he'd miss her and her mother too much. If that was true than where was he? Why did he leave them? She was too lost in her thoughts to notice her best friends' uncle watching as more and more tears fell down her cheeks, dropping onto her lap. Maya's head shot up as she heard footsteps and saw Josh approaching, "Josh? How long have you been there?" She asked while wiping her tears away but they just kept falling so she eventually gave up and looked away. "Long enough to know something's wrong...you know you can talk to me right?" He asked softly and Maya turned to face him again fresh tears falling down her cheeks as he engulfed her in a hug. She instantly wrapped her arms around him, feeling safe as she once did when her Dad comforted her in the past resulting in her holding onto him tighter. "It's ok Maya...I'm not going anywhere..." He told her in an attempt to comfort her. "That's what he promised.." She whimpers before her eyes close and continues crying until she eventually falls asleep. Josh stays by her side all of Christmas Eve...