Spending Christmas at the Matthews!

"Come onnn Maya! You never celebrate Christmas, I get that your mum can't take the time off but I'm sure she wouldn't mind you spending Christmas here!" Riley pleaded as she walked through the door with Maya. "Riley, I'm not bothered about spending Christmas alone. My mother can never get the time off and I accept that." Maya reasoned, carefully not wishing to ruin her best friend's joyful attitude. "I understand that Maya but you could spend Christmas here." Riley continued pleading giving Maya a hopeful smile causing her to groan before accepting knowing she couldn't say no to her best friend's hopeful smile. "Fine! But don't expect any Christmassy behaviour!" Maya said before walking to Riley's room with Riley following close behind. 

Meanwhile, Josh was laid on the sofa watching their interaction while thinking of a way to get Maya into the Christmas spirit.

After Maya had left to go home for the night, Josh went to his niece's room, "Hey Riley?" He asked, trying to catch her attention. "Oh, hey Uncle Josh, whats up?" She responded turning to face him. "Why doesn't Maya seem to like Christmas" He asked once he knew he had his niece's  full attention. "Were you eavesdropping?!" Riley accuses, standing up. Josh looks at her shocked for a second before responding, "No, I was laying on the sofa when you two came in..." He responds slowly and she nods, still giving him a suspicious glance before answering, "When she was little, her Dad left while her and her mum were asleep on Christmas Eve. She woke up on Christmas Day to him gone. She has understandable hated Christmas ever since that year, not seeing what most people love about Christmas and...to add to that her mum always works on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. She has always spent Christmas alone and never seen it as anything but another time to be alone..." Josh listens carefully, listening to every single word she says, all of this news to him. Surprised by this, Maya had never seemed in anyway upset...maybe that was down to his lack of observing her or maybe she was just good at building up a barrier, blocking out her emotions. "Has she left?" Josh asks after a moment of silence and Riley nods in response. He begins thinking of how to awaken Maya's Christmas soul, "Riley, I have a plan and I think you'll like it.."