the happy ever after

Start from the beginning

"I'm seriously sorry for putting you both through this. Please trust me none of it is true." Murat explained them sincerely, Arsalaan's face softened a bit but Malaika wasn't buying it.

"Those photos are real, aren't they?" She asked bluntly.

Mashal started at her husband curiously. She was dying to know this and honestly, it's what pissed her off more than everything else. To see her husband with his ex-girlfriend was not a good sight. She hated it.

"They are not. At the bangle store, I was smiling and buying them for my wife. For Mashal. That woman had a sinister plan as she decided to just fall on me out of nowhere. I held her out of reflex, to balance her. I didn't know I was holding her until I saw her face. I've dropped her down immediately after I realised which none of the photographers failed to capture. Even if they did, someone has paid them not to publish it."

There was pin-drop silence in the hall.

"What about the coffee shop? You were all smiles and laughter." Malaika asked bitterly. She can't imagine something hurting her little daughter, not even her husband.

"Again, it was taken conveniently like how they wanted. I was joking with Chris and he went out for something, which Eliza used in her favour and sat on his spot. They captured that one from my behind so you can't really see my facial expressions because I was furious at her audacity. I asked her to leave. But she went ahead and touched my hands. Which was also captured. But what they didn't capture is me getting up from there and walking away." Murat's eyes never left Mashal the entire time. He wanted her to know how much of a trap this was. He wanted her to believe him. And she did. God! He was so lucky to have her as his wife.

Malaika blinked, "can we trust you?"

"Mama, I trust him. He'd never do that to me. If you trust me, you should definitely believe him." Mashal spoke up for her husband, who smiled at her words. It was one grateful smile. He looked so grateful and relieved. She wanted nothing but to hug him tightly and tell him it's alright and that they were okay.

"Where were you though? Why disappear without informing anyone?" Arsalaan asked.

"I went out to get them all removed. They were baseless and such a manipulative move by Eliza. I asked her to back off and never bother me again. She said she'd leave alone if Mashal didn't leave me after all this mess." Murat scoffed, feeling frustrated at his own choice. Why did he fall for her of all people? What went wrong with him?

"It is removed now. I sued the news magazines for publishing all these lies. But the fans, I can't do much about them." Murat replied frustratedly. He can't believe he used to love this type of fame once upon a time.

"We trust you, Murat beta. Don't worry. Everything is going to be fine," Arsalaan came forward and patted his back sympathisingly.

"But don't you ever meet that Eliza again. You should be fair with my daughter and there's no second marriage happening." Malaika glared at him before storming off the house. Arsalaan sighed looking at his retreating back, "please don't mind her harshness. She loves Mashal a little too much. Just don't do anything to hurt my daughter. That's all we ever ask."

"Of course, uncle. I can understand where auntie is coming from. But Mashal is the best thing to have ever happened to me, I'd never do that to her. She's my only forever." Murat explained sincerely. His father in law smiled slowly with a nod and walked back to their home as well.

It was just Murat and Mashal now. They stared at each other for a while, without blinking their eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me about meeting her, Murat? I'd have been prepared for all of this." Mashal finally spoke something. And she didn't fail to show her disappointment now. As a wife, she felt it wasn't right to throw him under the bus in front of her parents. But in private it's a different story. She didn't want this to be a reason they end up resenting each other or something.