chapter two

So I guess showing up to the carnival drunk was not my best decision. Oh, and remember when I said it was gonna be cold because of the breeze? Yeah well boy was I fucking wrong. Even with the breeze it's literally hot as balls out here.

"Olive Rose Madden. I despise your father for coming up with this fucking carnival and making us help set this shit up!" Louis, one of the boys we met through niall speaks while snatching the bottle of tequila from my hands and taking a hefty swig.

Okay I did indeed say showing up drunk was bad, but you never heard me say anything about continuing to drink. l know what you're thinking, leave me alone.

"Oh trust me I hate it too. I've been doing this shit all my life. Just so you know we aren't even half way set up yet." I say putting a hand on Layla's shoulder to get up and move to sit on the base of whatever ride we're trying to set up now. The sand was getting to hot on my ass. Or do I just have a really fucking hot ass? I guess we'll never know.

The sun is out in full force today. We've been setting up for roughly 4 hours now and there is still so much work left to be done. My back is drenched, my back hurts, my feet burn. But besides that, being back at the beach for the first time since last year is sort of surreal for me.

Last year was a train wreck. There was someone killed almost every night right here before the carnival shut down. We made national news in everything. Obviously, people stopped coming due to the tragedies, which obviously made us shut down for the season. The person was never caught who did it but my dad and I paid for the funeral expenses. We can only hope that business is steady again this year, but my dad doesn't seem to worried about it.

The first night we got the news of someone being killed was the first night we met Niall and the boys. We met Niall first and then he introduced us to Louis, Zayn, and Liam. We had some of the best moments of our lives that night. Well, they had some of the best times of their lives. I, on the other hand, happened to make the worst decision possible.

"Hey, Olive. Get the fuck out of your head and talk to us. I can see the wheels spinning in your brain." Zayn says to me while swiftly slinging his arm around me.

"Oh come on! I'm just reminiscing about the night we all met." I say while leaning into Zayn's side more. Aside from Niall and Layla, Zayn is my very best friend. It's literally crazy we only met last year yet I feel I've known him my entire life.

"Get up off your asses you lazy pieces of shits. You have work to do." My dad says while throwing water bottles in all of our directions, cutting us out of our thoughts.

"Sir yes sir Apollo!" Liam says jokingly saluting my father while rising to his feet having to hold onto Layla's shoulder to steady himself. If my dad couldn't tell we were drinking by all the bottles he sure does now.

My father stalks towards Liam with a grimace on his face. Of course, He's pissed. Great. You can smell the alcohol leaking through Liam's pours. Instead of saying anything he looks turns towards us, looks us up and down in disgust and walks away.

"That is definitely not how I thought that would end. Not going to lie, I kinda wanted the chance to fight your dad again," Louis says picking up the garbage and throwing it in the trash can behind us.

Yeah so funny story, all the boys have layed at least one hit on my father, and rightfully so. Mainly coming to my defence and helping me in an argument but it always ends with me crying and cleaning up the cuts left all over their bodies while they whisper sweet nothings to me.

"Oh please for the love of god, shut up and let's finish setting up and go back to Layla's please." I say walking away with the group on my tail.

After roughly 3 and a half more hours of setting up we finally got to leave. We didn't even get the chance to tell my dad we were leaving. He was grabbing some tall man with long hair by the arm and taking him behind one of the game tents. He looked oddly familiar but my drunk self doesn't know shit. Plus, could only see the back of his head, so who knows if I really knew him. His hair was pretty though.