And, though she hated oiling her hair, she loved that time of the day the most.

Wrinkled, rough but caring fingers carefully, soothingly massaging her scalp.

A gentle voice narrating to her the events the aged eyes had encountered and stories the old ears had listened.

Puzzling her granddaughter with her questions, prompting her to reason and discuss.

All the while, the younger devil ran around in the small garden they had, playing and laughing.

Those were the times when her hair was healthy; she was healthy— physically as well as mentally.

Ada shook her head. Taking a glance at the mattress where she had hid the gold coins she stole, she opened the door.

A week. A week and I will go to the market and buy rabbit fur and I will know where my brother is. She will tell me where my brother is.

Ada made her way towards the quarters of Mrs. Smith. They were on the first floor of the mansion, where the butler of the mansion also resided.

"To the kitchen." Mrs. Smith informed as soon as she saw the girl walking towards her.

Ada hurried behind the woman, keeping her head low, as the Head Maid continued giving orders to the other maids she met on the way towards the kitchen.

The kitchen was an immensely large room with three rows of slabs made of granite in the front, which extended from the right side to the middle of the kitchen area.

On the left side, there were two hearths. At the back, there was a large fireplace and on the adjacent wall, there were two ovens.

She could see the spit boys readying the fireplace by stacking it with coal. Ladles, spits, pots and other utensils were hung up on the right wall. The maids and the male servants were already bustling around, taking stocked food from the pantry and cleaning the floor along with the utensils. Misa was busy slicing the vegetables, a scowl on her face.

"Ada," She heard Mrs. Smith say, "Help Amy clean."

"Yes, ma'am." She picked up a mop placed in the corner and moved towards the large iron bucket filled with water. Dropping the mop inside it then wringing it, she started cleaning the floor. Her eyes clashed with Amy's who hastily looked away as if the eye contact scorched her.

An hour later, Ada sagged back, sitting on the ground and leaning against the wall, to catch her breath as the kitchen floor had been mopped thoroughly.

The thunderous sound of a spear slapping against the wall just above her head made her jump.

"Don't slack, idiot," a daunting human guard grumbled.

"Stand up."

Ada opened her mouth to retort but he was already gone. She huffed and stood up. She walked out of the kitchen and upstairs to find Mrs Smith. She was in the hall, setting up the table, eyebrows furrowed."Ma'am, the kitchen—"

"Oh Ada." The Head Maid spun around to face her, her eyes widened in distress. "Inform everyone in the kitchen the Young Master's fiancee will be over here at any given moment, we are running late! Be quick!"

Hearing the urgency in her voice, Ada rushed back to the kitchen, though on her way back, she could hear the screeching of the main gate opening downstairs.

She peeked from the corner as she reached the last step of the staircase as the front door was wide open. She could see three elegant horses neighing in front of the main gate.