Part 2: "The Strange Stone"

Start from the beginning

Aurelle opened her palm, and a strange building emerged over her palm. It was straight and angular--nothing like any building in the whole Realm.

Denahlia winced and waved her hand, and the illusion shattered in a million pinpricks of light. "Get out of my office."

Aurelle stood, but she couldn't resist one last barb. "You can't just vanish on people and expect everything to pick up right where it left off without telling anybody, Denahlia. That's not how you treat friends."

The Harbor Watch beckoned over Aurelle's shoulder, and the door opened of its own accord. "When I decide you should know the story of my absence, I'll tell you. Until then, it's my business. Friendship or enmity has nothing to do with it."

Aurelle exited the office. As she rounded the corner that led to the street, a young man leaning against the wall stood and advanced toward her, smiling as he removed the pipe from his lips.

"Miss On-Again-Off-Again, is it?" He teased.

Aurelle gave a pinched smile and a mock curtsey. "Good day to you, Harbormaster."

Hayden chuckled, his gaze wandering over to the door leading into Denahlia's office. "She's a strange one, but she does the job."

Aurelle snorted. "When she's around," she muttered.

His smile never dimmed. "I've heard a lot of stories about her--she's been through a lot." He blinked as Aurelle held up her hand and tried to conjure the strange building again. It wouldn't form. "Well..." Hayden stammered. "I guess you've all been through quite a lot in the last years."

Aurelle chuckled. "You don't know the half of it." She paused and then heaved a sigh, shaking off some flood of memories. "Well, I suppose I ought to be getting back to the Castle."

Hayden took a long puff on his pipe. "Come back and visit again--and try not to cause trouble next time, eh?"

Aurelle smiled and waved as she walked away. "I'll do my best."

Hayden watched her leave and then turned to wander down toward the docks. He dodged to avoid a full wagon swaying by, and nearly collided with a man heading in the opposite direction.

"Hey, watch it!" The man snarled.

Hayden fumbled his pipe, caught it, and nodded to the man. "Dreadfully sorry--I hope I didn't spill any warm pipe-weed on you!"

The bearded man seemed a bit taken aback by Hayden's winning manner. He lost his ire immediately. "Oh, no harm done. Say... I've just arrived in these parts, and I'm looking for directions to a tavern--the Phoenix Inn, I believe it's called?"

Hayden smiled. "Ah! I know the place. Just take this road here," he pointed to the main street curving away from them. "It'll take you straight up toward the city. You'll turn left once you pass the City gates, and the Phoenix Inn will be just ahead. You can't miss it!"

The stranger smiled broadly. "Thank you kindly, sir!"

Hayden nodded and shook the man's hand. "Welcome to the Realm!" He surveyed the busy pier at the base of the road, and puffed happily on his pipe. Whatever Madam Denahlia and Lady Aurelle were arguing about, it couldn't have been something to drive a wedge between the women. One didn't have such disagreements in a Gifted Realm such as this!

>>>>>>>>>

In the White Castle (North)

Princess Zayra surveyed the map spread out upon her desk. She would need to add a few names to the census--and where to fit them all? Perhaps organizing the community according to similar Gifts wasn't the best idea. It had made sense at first, putting all the water-types together, keeping those with telepathic connections to animals together with the shapeshifters so that the animals had room to roam without bothering the humans. She pursed her lips and stared at each thin boundary line marking out the lots. There seemed to be too many of one sort, and very few of another. What would it look like if she dispersed them in equal groups, including a group of diverse Gifts that could benefit one another, instead?