epilogue

Dear Akutagawa-kun,

You don't need to worry about me. Atsushi-kun kept his promise and made sure not to kill me. However, do not expect to see me again. I do not wish to associate myself with the Port Mafia any longer.

There will never be enough water in this world to wash these tainted hands, but I can try, right? My first step towards a more virtuous life was stepping down as the boss of the Port Mafia. My second step will be trying to make amends with you.

Forgive me for not having the guts to do this in person, but I just can't bring myself to. But I hope you'll be assured knowing that this will be the last time I will ever wrong you. You don't have to worry about withstanding another slap from me anymore. You don't have to worry about desperately using your ability to save yourself from my bullets anymore. And you certainly don't have to worry about trying to prove yourself as strong to me anymore.

You started worrying about that while reading this, right? "If I am to never see Dazai-san again, how will I ever prove my strength to him?" That's what I thought.

When Atsushi-kun came to save me, part of that was your doing, correct? I saw a peek of your conversation with him when he infiltrated our headquarters. He made a good point, honestly. Why do you need my approval to be assured of your own worth?

Well, since I'm planning on leaving and never coming back, I might as well give it to you now. Specifically, in the form of handing over leadership of the organization to you. Use this letter as authorization; you won't have to cover up a murder like the past two bosses, fortunately.

Signed,
Dazai Osamu

Akutagawa clutched the letter tightly in his fist as he gazed out at Yokohama's rising sun. It was a sight he had witnessed several times before, but now, he'd have to get used to seeing it from Dazai's former office space.

✦✧✧✧✧✦

"Please forgive us!" Tanizaki exclaimed while bowing profusely.

He sat right across from Atsushi and beside Kunikida. Kyouka was in the booth as well and seated right beside Cafe Uzumaki's window.

"I- it's alright," Atsushi replied.

"No, it's not alright. We placed the both of you under such stressful conditions and even convinced the both of you that you were going to die earlier!" the detective fussed.

"It was all for the sake of the job," Kunikida said before taking a sip of his tea. "Besides, I'm sure these rookies are much less traumatized than you were after your own entrance exam."

Tanizaki laughed shyly and returned to the mochi in front of him. Kyouka gobbled down all her tofu and placed down her bowl with a considerably loud "thud".

"So, did we pass the test?" she asked.

Kunikida sighed and readjusted his glasses. "The two of you certainly didn't achieve the results we were expecting, but yes. You did technically pass the Armed Detective Agency's entrance exam."

Atsushi's eyes lit up. Now, he could finally take the first step towards keeping his promise to Dazai. "Thank you. Thank you very much, Kunikida-san!"

✦✧✧✧✧✦

Up on the balcony of his penthouse, Chuuya took a sip of his glass of his wine. Most reviews of the 1989 bottle of Petrus described it as having oaky, earthy notes and an aroma of black fruits such as plum and cherries. But to Chuuya, it tasted like a space that was too empty and a night that was too lonely.

It wasn't the healthiest of coping mechanisms, but it would have to do. What else was Chuuya supposed to do after his partner vanished into thin air? For all he knew, Dazai could have finally offed himself with his last memory of Chuuya being one of betrayal. How was he supposed to live with that?

"Dammit," Chuuya muttered, releasing a visible puff of his own breath into the cool night. The night's chill had started creeping up the man's thin sleeves. He'd have to head back inside for another layer.

He re-entered his home and started making his way up the stairs. But before he took the first step upwards, he stopped in his tracks. Was there... someone on his couch?

Chuuya flicked the lights on and sent a piercing glare towards the intruder in his living room. However, upon realizing who it was, his gaze softened.

"...Dazai?"

"Hey there, Chuuya."

That playful drawl in his voice, the mischievous smirk. Even if there wasn't a layer of bandages covering one of his eyes or a midnight black coat covering him up, Chuuya knew it was Dazai.

"What are you doing here? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me anymore."

"Well, I made a promise to that weretiger you brought into the mafia. He made me swear to redeem myself or something." Dazai shrugged. "At first, I had no idea where to start. But eventually, I figured that the first thing I should do was try to make up for everything I've done."

"And how did you go about doing that?"

"Well, I obviously can't completely fix my mistakes, but a significant amount of money towards the families of my victims should accomplish something."

He said it in such a casual manner that one would think he barely cared. But Chuuya sensed something different about the air around Dazai. Perhaps there was something in his eyes hinting towards a genuine sense of guilt about his actions.

"I wrote up some letters of recommendation for Atsushi-kun and Kyouka-chan, but I'm not sure if the president of the Armed Detective Agency would take my words into consideration for hiring them," Dazai added on. "I figured Akutagawa-kun would stop fighting for my approval if I gave him my position in the mafia."

"You made Akutagawa-kun the new boss-?"

"I'm sure that high-strung blondie will keep an eye on him," Dazai reassured Chuuya. "Anyways, I was checking names off my list and finding ways to apologize, but something felt off. I couldn't put my finger on it. Was I forgetting someone?"

"Just get to the point already."

"You're always so impatient." Dazai pouted. "It was you! I still needed to apologize to you!"

"Me?"

"Yes. You." The former boss stood up from the couch and walked up to his former subordinate. He didn't stop until his nose was basically brushing against the brim of Chuuya's hat. His fingers were outstretched, as if to take Chuuya's hands into his, but he decided against it. "You... just wanted to help me. To be there for me. But I foolishly pushed you away. I'm such a fool, Chuuya. Such a stupid, stupid fool."

Chuuya chuckled lightly. "You are pretty stupid."

"Yeah. Which is why I couldn't think of a single way to make it up to you." Dazai let out a shaky exhale. "You've always been an utter enigma to me, Chuuya. Just when I think I've figured you out, you do something so unbelievable and unpredictable. I've gotten your fighting style and your breathing patterns memorized by heart, but please, I need you to tell me what to do so you can forgive me. If that's even possible."

Chuuya's clear, icy blue eyes met with Dazai's deep, dark, and somber ones. He intertwined his fingers with the other's and held onto him firmly. "It's possible. I'm sure that someday, if you give me enough time and promise to keep me close no matter what, I could find a way to forgive you."

Dazai broke out into a soft smile. He pulled Chuuya closer to him and buried his face into Chuuya's shoulder. "Thank you."

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐔𝐍𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐅𝐈𝐀 | completed 🎉