chapter five - the fall of the night

"Atsushi-kun?"

Atsushi groaned as he raised his head from a puddle of his own blood. The hazy shapes of Ango's office came into view. The bookshelves formed first, followed by the shape of the door. Finally, the silhouette of a short man in a hat could be seen.

"Oh, god. There you are! How long have you been like this?" Chuuya fretted.

"Mnn... Not sure," Atsushi replied weakly. "Why are you here?"

Chuuya helped up Atsushi to his feet. Now he could see the details of Chuuya's face. The man's eyes were puffed up and a bit moist, and his eyebrows shaped the look of urgency on his expression. "Everything's backfired. All the assassinations are taking place as we speak, the agency is missing, and Dazai..."

Chuuya had to take a moment to regain his composure.

"Dazai needs to be killed." He let out a sharp exhale. "You aren't hurt too badly, right?"

Atsushi looked down at his bleeding chest. "Chuuya-san..."

"You have to do this, Atsushi-kun!" Chuuya pleaded. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't be asking a kid like you to do this, but it can't be me. It just can't."

Atsushi watched as Chuuya paced back and forth, muttering incoherent words to himself. He blinked profusely as his eyes began to well up.

"I can- I can patch you up. Yeah, we can slow down the bleeding for now, and while you're off at the headquarters, I'll search for the agency so Yosano can heal you once you're done. Yeah, that could work." He spoke as if he was trying to convince himself. "Get up on the desk, Atsushi-kun."

Atsushi obeyed and unbuttoned his shirt, moving the right side out of the way; thank goodness Akutagawa didn't pierce his heart. Chuuya pulled out a roll of bandages from his pocket and expertly wrapped up Atsushi's wound in a matter of seconds. The amount of pressure didn't even need to be adjusted. It was almost as if Chuuya was used to treating wounded accomplices on short notice.

"Okay." Chuuya placed a hand on Atsushi's shoulder. "Take care, Atsushi-kun. Farewell for now."

✦✧✧✧✧✦

News that he was a traitor hadn't spread through the mafia yet, so Atsushi was able to get into the headquarters with ease. All he had to do was pray that he wouldn't run into Akutagawa.

"Speak of the devil," Atsushi muttered under his breath.

On the other end of the hallway, there he stood with his cool face and black coat accentuating all his pale features. Atsushi's heart skipped a beat as he spun his head around to find a place to hide. Unfortunately for him, all the doors near him were locked. In a panicked frenzy, the young man drew attention to himself and felt Akutagawa's cold eyes being drawn towards him.

"Weretiger," the black-clad man snarled. "What did I tell you I would do if I ever saw you again?"

"...Forgive and forget?" Atsushi tried.

Rashoumon's jet black blades were launched towards Atsushi. He jerked his right shoulder backwards, narrowly missing Akutagawa's assault. But he felt a sharp pain in his right shoulder after being struck by a second jab by the ability.

Atsushi used his already wounded hand to pull it out. "Nngh... Akutagawa! Listen to me. Please!"

"I have no reason to listen to and believe in the words of a traitor!" he bellowed.

The next attack came from the ground beneath Atsushi, but that's what he was anticipating. At the last second, Atsushi leapt out of the way of Rashoumon's path. He dived to the ground when he saw it getting redirected, but it still managed to scrape his back, leaving rips in his ruined shirt.